cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New kid on the block

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Well.... after 4 to 5 yrs of sitting here feeling like I was dying, I finally got a diagnosis of iron deficient anemia. Got a transfusion two days after diagnosis, and a host of symptoms I've had for at least 4 to 5 years totally disappeared immediately. So I am eating iron pills and feel like a new person. Still tire easily but so, so much better than I've been for far too long.

What's this got to do with animals? Shortly after all this came out, I was contacted about a rescue dog. Finished CH, dumped when he was no longer a cash cow. The guy I got him from had him a couple of years and his life circumstances changed.

Before my transfusion I would not have even entertained the idea of another dog, as I couldn't walk from the kitchen to the living room without half blacking out.

Long story, short version, he's here. I came to find out his bloodlines go back to the lines behind my own dogs. It's amazing to see the similarity in looks, and the personality and habits that he has in common with my dogs. The dogs from these lines are no longer with me, but having him is like having a part of them back again.

Took him to the vet, and he has a slow heart rate and missed beats... the vet brought up that one of my other dogs had this same thing. It had slipped my mind. I just looked at him and said that this dog goes back to those same lines. He said it's a small world.

Anyways, he is 11 yrs old and I don't think he is going anywhere else. For all he has been through, I think he deserves to be spoiled for whatever time he has left. So he is staying. Forgot to mention, back when he was making $$ for someone, he was debarked. I am really not happy about that. I could never do that to a dog.

So many things had to come together in a short period of time to make this happen -- the Lord does work in mysterious ways.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder
10 REPLIES 10

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are feeling better...and so happy for you that you found a new best friend !

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Finished CH, dumped when he was no longer a cash cow. The guy I got him from had him a couple of years and his life circumstances changed....Forgot to mention, back when he was making $$ for someone,

Glad you got your health problems figured out and that you rescued a dog.

I do take offense that because a dog has achieved a title of CH. that you refer to him as a cash cow and dumped because of that.

And then in the same sentence you state that the owners life circumstances had changed which is the reason why he had to surrender his dog to rescue. Which he should be commended for not bashed.

The dog is 11 years old and obviously since this owner has only had him 2 years he is the second owner and had absolutely nothing to do with breeding/showing this dog. And that you would have no knowledge of so-called the dog "making money for someone" simply because the dog has a title. Just find this rhetoric of bashing others that show their dogs truly unnecessary.:(

I have 4 CH's sitting right here. I am VERY proud of our accomplishments and they are NOT as your refer to cash cows.

And you SHOULD be proud of your dogs' accomplishments. Congrats!!

I guess in trying to condense the story, I did not make myself clear. I have nothing against reputable breeders, who show dogs and take care of their dogs with love and respect. There are good and bad ppl in every aspect of life.

This dog was used at stud, and when he refused to stand at stud is when he was gotten rid of. It was not done in a nice way, from what I was told, and that is the person I have issue with, NOT the last owner who brought the dog to me. This is also the person(who was using him at stud) who had the dog de-barked. That procedure can cause breathing problems in a dog, due to scar formation and makes intubation difficult if any surgery is needed for the dog. Definitely not in the dog's best interests.

I in no way intended to bash the fellow who surrendered the dog to me. His life circumstances changed and he did what was best for this dog. It can happen to anyone. I have all the respect for him, and I know he cared about the dog. He did everythign he could to help the dog make the transition easy, in bringing his belongings and giving me all the information he did as far as the dog's schedule and habits, etc. People who don't care don't take the time to do all that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
raindove wrote:
-- the Lord does work in mysterious ways.

Glad you're feeling better, and yes, he sure does!

Pops

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
So glad you're feeling better! Thank you for taking in this handsome senior guy. His heart problem is likely genetic, especially since a dog you had from the same line had the same issue. I'm sure you'll spoil him rotten, as he deserves in his sunset years! ๐Ÿ™‚
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Glad you are feeling better. And congrats on your new addition.

God bless all rescuers.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Finished CH, dumped when he was no longer a cash cow. The guy I got him from had him a couple of years and his life circumstances changed....Forgot to mention, back when he was making $$ for someone,

Glad you got your health problems figured out and that you rescued a dog.

I do take offense that because a dog has achieved a title of CH. that you refer to him as a cash cow and dumped because of that.

And then in the same sentence you state that the owners life circumstances had changed which is the reason why he had to surrender his dog to rescue. Which he should be commended for not bashed.

The dog is 11 years old and obviously since this owner has only had him 2 years he is the second owner and had absolutely nothing to do with breeding/showing this dog. And that you would have no knowledge of so-called the dog "making money for someone" simply because the dog has a title. Just find this rhetoric of bashing others that show their dogs truly unnecessary.:(

I have 4 CH's sitting right here. I am VERY proud of our accomplishments and they are NOT as your refer to cash cows.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding, Dogs and pets make our lives so much more enjoyable and un-like people they want is love and they give it back in so many ways. We have 8 and all are rescues. I ma glad they finally found your medical problem too, I guess that is why they call a Dr. office a practice instead of a cure
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
awww... Bless you for giving him such a wonderful life after such a deplorable existence. He's a lucky lucky boy!
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're a blessing to give him a life of love. May you all enjoy health and happiness.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
`

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder