cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our Petey is at peace

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
After a wonderful life full of sweetness our Pistol Pete was given the final gift of love yesterday when we let him rest.....

On April 1st 2001, the day we met.....

This one was taken the week before Thanksgiving in 2013:

Our good boy came to us through a rescue organization here in Tulsa = Small Paws Rescue Inc. Typically they only rescue Bichons but at one puppy mill auction of breeder dogs they went in to (undercover), they came across a really pitiful Lhasa Apso that their "buyer" couldn't leave behind. We found about Petey through an AOL message board for people who love Lhasas. At that time, we lived in Texas but once I heard the story I decided we would "foster" him until a suitable home was found. We drove to Tulsa, had a nice visit with my mom and picked him up at the founder of Small Paw's home. That was on April 1st in 2001. It was love at first sight for me and on the way home I knew he would be staying with us. He was a survivor and I could tell he needed someone who would understand him. Our first Lhasa, Loppy liked him well enough to try and bond with him on the long drive home but the new guy would just lay low and not move. Little did I know this was his way of coping with life. He just shut down.... but there was a light in his eyes and I had high hopes. When we stopped one time for a potty break I said to my husband "he's a little pistol, this boy" and with his bowed legs.... the name came to me = Pistol Pete.

For those of you who may not know what a puppy mill is, I will give you quick explanation. It is a where those puppies come from that are found in the pet stores, most newspaper ads, and some online sites. The so called "breeders" hold dogs hostage and breed them until they are no longer "viable". These breeder stock are kept in small wire cages stacked upon each other. The dogs are covered in filth from the dogs above them and never know what it's like to be loved. They are fed just barely enough food to keep them existing and typically they are flea infested, dirty, matted, neglected and often times abused messes. Our Petey had feet badly splayed from the wired cage, his feet actually flopped when he walked. He had very little muscle tone in his legs from never being out of his prison. He had been bathed almost a dozen times, even AFTER shaving his filthy hair just to get the gunk out of his skin. He had spent almost 18 months in that hell hole, I will forever be grateful to Small Paws for liberating him.

I will tell you this.... watching him transform from abused livestock to a much loved pet was life changing. Lessons of life were taught by this little guy. Recalling how our female dog Gabby became his mentor and helped him brings tears to my eyes. She was sweet and patient while letting him know life was OK out of the cage. He related to her on a level he couldn't relate to humans and she helped us teach him to be a dog. I remember when he first started spending time in our backyard on grass, it was a foreign substance to him and he was overwhelmed. One day I watched him as he began to roll around in it with joyful abandon. He was actually acting like a dog! He would lay in the grass and just sniff around, he would duck his head when a bird flew over, he was slowly learning to go up the two steps into our house without having to be carried due to the lack of muscle tone. He would do the cutest four legged hop and still did all these years later when he went up a step. He changed our lives as much as his was changed. It was an honor to help him become a beloved pet.

Our Sweet Petey traveled with us in our pop up camper, our travel trailer and our motorhome. He visited nine states in the time he spent RVing with us. He shared a home with five other dogs at some point or another during his life and never once was mean to any of them. He also shared a home with several cats and was quite fond of a few of them. He rarely met an animal he didn't like, well.... except for the armadillo incident but that is a LONG story. He had a huge heart! We also called him Bubba Dog because he was a good bubba to our other pets.

I can recall many stories but most of all today, I am trying to celebrate a life well lived, a life enjoyed by everyone who met him. The wonderful memories we shared, the many years of his sweetness and the place in our hearts that will always be his, are his legacy. It truly was an honor to share those years with our Pistol Pete.

If you made it this far, thank you for taking time to read while I shared more about a dog, who wasn't "just a dog" he was a wonderful, sweetheart companion. Rest in peace Bubba Dog, stay sweet, someday I will sing in your ear again.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.
34 REPLIES 34

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all you pet loving RV'ing folks. Your words, so full of understanding and compassion are comforting.

Bella has started adjusting pretty well. She doesn't run to Petey's bed every time we tell her it's time to go out now. She used to help guide him out, since he was almost 100% blind and had doggy dementia, that was an important thing. However, like Pop's Calvin, she has some limits. She will not eat too close to where his bowl used to be and her new bed is not acceptable but neither is his old bed, without him in it. They used to cuddle up together all the time, so for now no bed for her. She still gets in her crate when told to like the sweet/smart girl she is.

Petey was not only a fabulous, hardy, lovable dog but according to Bella he was a great older "brother". He is greatly missed.. As you all know it takes time, she has her ways and I have mine. So many memories to cherish.

Cat

Our toys:
(picture on profile)

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Hugs to you from Bill and I. And our "canine kids", as well---Shelby, Bea, Roxie, and Sophie โค๏ธ

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
CatandJim wrote:
Thanks everyone, we all miss him. He was such a sweet dog. Bella keeps looking for him. Hopefully she will adjust.

I understand what Bella's going through. Since Harlee's passing in June 2012, even after Calvin was able to say his good by to his sister (he was brought in the room so he could see that Harlee wasn't with us any longer).

To this day, although he doesn't look for her. Calvin will not sleep in Harlee's spot on the bed. I notice at times that he still feels uncomfortable sitting in the front seat of our Jeep.

Lance

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear this, Cat. It seems that I have been reading about Petey's adventures ever since we joined RV.net. I know you could write a lot more about him, as there are so many layers of the changes they make in our lives. Some things are just meant to be.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I read this earlier today and just could not find the words to express how sorry I am for your loss. After reading your post once again, I can tell how much you love the little guy and also how much love he brought to you.

I sit here looking at my two girls sleeping and dread when "that" day comes. It is unfortunate that our little Furry Kids get to spend so little time with us. I am reminded of a story about a family that had an old dog whose time had come. The family was not sure whether to have their young son in the room with the vet but decided that they would all be there as a family. After it was over they looked at the boy to make sure that he was alright, they were all crying. He looked at them and said I know why dogs do not live as long as people. They looked at him and ask why, he said that Dogs are born knowing how to love unconditionally where we have to grow up to understand that. (I know I did not write this exactly as I originally saw it but I had to share it with you)
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

HTALLEN
Explorer
Explorer
What a wonderful story.....I am full of tears for your loss, knowing that this week my poodle Ziggymonster will join your Pistol Pete,
1997 Southwind 32 VS,Banks,SafeTPlus,Bilsteins,Henderson Trac Bar
3 maniac poodles..Mozart (RIP 10/6/10),Ziggymonster,Nickolas
Honda Civic

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Run fast and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge as you await your loved ones.

Barb and the 4 chocolates
Barb and the 4 chocolates

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, we all miss him. He was such a sweet dog. Bella keeps looking for him. Hopefully she will adjust.

Cat

Our toys:
(picture on profile)

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So sorry for you that Petey has made that final trip. But what a grand life he had with you. Thank you for rescuing and for loving this little guy.

God bless all rescuers.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
I think we can all gather from Petey's life story with his forever family that he was much loved. I am sure he returned that love in spades, and he will remain in your hearts for the rest of your lives and beyond.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry to hear about Petey .Our special thoughts and heartfelt prayers are with you and your family during this time.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
What a great tribute to a very lucky and truly loved dog! We're so very sorry for the loss of your Pistol Pete!

Lance and Calvin

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Cat.... I'm so sorry. He had a great life with you guys, but it is so hard to say goodbye.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
Rest in peace sweet Bubba Dog!

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001