Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Food Recall

rangerette
Explorer
Explorer
yahoo news link - pet food recall

There is incomplete information at this time, but thought it good to post this as soon as possible.
Jackie
245 REPLIES 245

Explorer
Explorer
Only one of the two plants had USDA inspectors. www.fsis.usda.gov/Fsis_Recalls/index.asp

I don't believe it's a requirement to have them for pet foods, only for products for human consumption.

I spoke to my vet today and he said do not feed anything but kibble, even if the retailers offer you newer canned foods that aren't part of the recall.
George
Lifelong tipi, wall tenter/mule packer. 850-ac in Montana.
61 U404, 99 Dodge V10, 79 Airstream www.nativeradio.com

dturm
Even though Menu foods is a Canadian company, the 2 manufacturing plants where the contaminated foods were made are in Kansas (or Kansas City) and New Jersey, if the reports I heard were correct.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Ngataki
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:

.......Have you heard exactly where the plant in question is? I swear, I've tried to pay attention, but the news is being pretty vague about it. Maybe afraid of repercussions? ...............

Here a quote from Paul Henderson, their CEO
Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kansas, and Pennsauken, New Jersey, Henderson said.
Starcraft 2500RKS
F-150 Screw - 5.4L - 3.73L axle
Hensley Arrow - TruControlโ„ข - McKeshยฎ Mirrors

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
In the CBC radio program, The Current mentioned that at present the pet food industry in Canada is not regulated.

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2007/200703/20070321.html

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

tomkatzid
Explorer
Explorer
Our 3 girls ate the Iams food that was recalled. They had the canned food with their dry 3 or 4 wks ago. Just a couple spoons of wet with their dry, for a treat. Our middle girl, Nina, was sick, throwing up, about this same time. We had spoken with the vet then and she said just to keep an eye on her and give her rice and chicken broth till she was better. There was no mention then of a recall. Now Nina nor the other girls have any symtoms. They seem just fine. BUT, since we KNOW they ate this food, we are taking them in for kidney tests tomorrow at 1pm. With a Petsmart card, they track everything you buy. They sent an e mail today showing that we bought the recalled product. I'm sure our pups will be just fine, but untill the test show clear, I'm scared.
Keep your paws and claws crossed for them.
Katz
Tom, Katz, Kelcee, Ashlee, Nina and Lucee all in a 22ft 1992 Toyota Dolphin !!!

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Ngataki wrote:

The company Menu Foods is Headquartered in Canada.. The plant(s) that produced the poisoned food is(are) in the USA..

Have you heard exactly where the plant in question is? I swear, I've tried to pay attention, but the news is being pretty vague about it. Maybe afraid of repercussions?

Unless some industry-wide controls are implemented, what is to say it won't happen again with so-called safe brands? Was there a ban on Chinese wheat products with the other companies or do they just not go with the lowest bidder? There is so much to this story and I sure hope someone does a thorough investigation and report.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Ngataki
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
Ngataki wrote:
let's import from China because it not only cheap but they also have very stringent Quality Controls.... Like we don't grow wheat in the USA

I just realized today that the manufacturer of all this recalled dog and cat food is in Canada, not even in the USA. I've still got some IAMS flat cans in the cupboard and I don't see "product of canada" anywhere on it. Luckily, I don't see wheat mentioned on this particular variety, either.

So the FDA is involved because it was sold here? I don't know how the heck we're supposed to protect our pets when we don't even know who makes what, or where. Would it ever have come out that one company makes pet food for 95 different labels? I rather doubt it.

The company Menu Foods is Headquartered in Canada.. The plant(s) that produced the poisoned food is(are) in the USA.. The "possible" cause came from rat poison infected wheat gluten from China...Keep in mind that this Company does most probably a centralized purchasing for the cheapest ingredients they can find.. So if I were you.. If the product is made by Menu Foods and the "brand" name appears on their list... dump it..(don't worry about made in the USA and CA...) The Chinese ingredients is what did it...
Starcraft 2500RKS

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Auntie, the best I can understand, the wheat component was imported from China and the type of rat poison involved is illegal in the USA. Whether the contamination was accidental or not remains to be seen.
Darcy the Min Pin

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Ngataki wrote:
let's import from China because it not only cheap but they also have very stringent Quality Controls.... Like we don't grow wheat in the USA

I just realized today that the manufacturer of all this recalled dog and cat food is in Canada, not even in the USA. I've still got some IAMS flat cans in the cupboard and I don't see "product of canada" anywhere on it. Luckily, I don't see wheat mentioned on this particular variety, either.

So the FDA is involved because it was sold here? I don't know how the heck we're supposed to protect our pets when we don't even know who makes what, or where. Would it ever have come out that one company makes pet food for 95 different labels? I rather doubt it.
Darcy the Min Pin

Auntie
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive me..but I don't understand..what is it they are getting from China..the grain..or is the food being made and being imported here?

Ngataki
Explorer
Explorer
To save a few pennies, let's import from China because it not only cheap but they also have very stringent Quality Controls.... Like we don't grow wheat in the USA
I just cannot understand this...
Starcraft 2500RKS

Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't surprise me (the rat poison) and the API article is certainly worth the read. Wheat gluten is put into practically everything and it by itself would not cause renal failure. Rat poison surely will.
George
Lifelong tipi, wall tenter/mule packer. 850-ac in Montana.
61 U404, 99 Dodge V10, 79 Airstream www.nativeradio.com

rdturn
Explorer
Explorer
MSNBC just posted on its site that it was RAT POISON. They think it may have come from China. Here is the link to the update.

RAT POISON IN PET FOOD
-Roger
2004 F250 SD Ford L/B
2008 FR Wildcat 30RL

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I heard on the news that rat poison got into the food that cause this outbreak of contaminated food.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I had a vet tell me that dry dog food was less prone to spoilage than wet or canned. Furthermore, that vet also told me that only one brand had been tested. When I have asked about that, any vet I have asked has agreed with that, except for that brand developed by Canadian Veterinarians. But you can't take this last brand across the border per current regulations. Hence, I have gone away from it, more's the pity.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006