cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet wash soap.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Is dawn dish washing soap acceptable for washing a dog?
Our "Annie" is experiencing more scratching than usual. All we
Have available at this time. THANKYOU.
19 REPLIES 19

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pawz4me wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
In both cases (dawn or people shampoo), there is also a difference between using it weekly and using it rarely. A one time shampoo with either isn't going to hurt. Using it for a weekly bath can create other skin issues.

Again, knowing the cause of the scratching is an important part of choosing the right shampoo.

Frequent baths are fine and in fact are often prescribed for certain skin conditions. The idea that frequent bathing is harmful is a holdover from when all pet grooming products were harsh and drying, which is no longer the case.

Would I bathe a dog weekly in Dawn? No way.

Would I bathe a dog every other day in a good quality shampoo (pet or human)? Without hesitation, if needed for any reason. In fact I have done so many times and had nothing but good results.

I didn't say frequent bathing was bad. I said there's a difference between bathing your dog weekly in dawn or whatever you have available and bathing them weekly with a product that is selected for the specific needs of the dog.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
In both cases (dawn or people shampoo), there is also a difference between using it weekly and using it rarely. A one time shampoo with either isn't going to hurt. Using it for a weekly bath can create other skin issues.

Again, knowing the cause of the scratching is an important part of choosing the right shampoo.

Frequent baths are fine and in fact are often prescribed for certain skin conditions. The idea that frequent bathing is harmful is a holdover from when all pet grooming products were harsh and drying, which is no longer the case.

Would I bathe a dog weekly in Dawn? No way.

Would I bathe a dog every other day in a good quality shampoo (pet or human)? Without hesitation, if needed for any reason. In fact I have done so many times and had nothing but good results.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
sgip2000 wrote:
I use this: Mane 'n Tail
Used it on my Collies for years. Leaves their coat nice and silky.

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
For sctatching and hair loss, I stand by Dinovite. It made the world of difference in my cockers.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
I use this: Mane 'n Tail

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I used Dawn on a dog, it was a puppy who had been coated in motor oil to try to clear up his demodex mange. Nothing else was going to get through that goop. His skin cleared up with the right meds and a little love, and he went to a really great family.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Most human shampoos and conditioners are fine for dogs, and I agree that unless the dog is particularly dirty or has an oily skin condition that I'd use a human product. It used to be believed that human shampoos weren't the right pH for dogs' skin, but that has pretty well been disproven, I think. The research I've seen indicates there's a pretty good range of pH for dogs and that most should do fine with human products. Dove and Pantene products are very popular among people who show breeds with long coats.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use human shampoo over Dawn, unless the dog is covered in grease or something. Dawn is normally reserved for extreme cleaning.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If she is having a problem with allergens, possibly weeds/grass, you can try just bathing her with plain warm water to help clean the allergens off her skin. It will make her more comfortable . I also use hot spot treatment which stops the itch. Our little one has this problem at this time of year too.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
If she is scratching, I recommend finding out the cause of the scratching before choosing a shampoo.

Is she having an allergic reaction, fleas, hot spot, etc.?

Once you know why she's scratching then you can get the shampoo best suited for that need.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We use no tear baby shampoo on his head then some the wife didn't care for after she bought it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

dturm
For an extremely dirty animal, dawn is great. For regular use, not so much. When we get a very dirty animal in for surgery and we need to get them clean beforehand, we often use dawn followed by surgical scrub.

For a skin issue any medicated shampoo (probably oatmeal or salicylic acid) shampoo preferably animal should be OK.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
I have yorkies and I use the best human shampoo and conditioner I can find for them. I would never consider putting any kind of dish soap on a dog. Dish soap is for removing oil and grease. Your dog needs some of its oils or its skin will dry out. Then it WILL itch and scratch. Have you taken the poor thing to the vet? if so, did you ask about using dish soap on your dog? I KNOW what the vets answer would be, and I suspect YOU know it too.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE