cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poodle-y fur is a snow magnet!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
OMG - I just gave Ben (mini aussie x mini poodle; a whopping 14 lbs and 13" tall) a closer trim - he comes in from playing in the snow (which he loves) just LOADED with snow and ice balls in his fur from head to tail. Then wants ME to hold him 'cause he's cold, so *I* get soaked....

I used to use "Musher's Secret" on Ike's (Aussie) feet to prevent snowballs - but am pretty sure that using it on a dog's fur would result in a gunky look? Is there anything in spray form that would make their coats less prone to collecting snow - or does Ben just get a close haircut and wears a coat all winter??

Jimmy is also a mini-Aussie-poo; but much larger. He gets snowballs from the tummy down.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
17 REPLIES 17

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
raindove wrote:

Are you blow drying after applying or just letting them go out with the damp spray on them?

They are dry because the spray dried quickly. I reapplied the spray this morning because I trimmed a lot of excess fur off Ben last night
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I don't have the Show Sheen - BUT - I did find an old spray bottle of Miracle Coat - it's a "coast lusterizer" and detangler that I used to use on Ike. No silicone (it has Tea Tree oil in it). Misted it over Ben and Jimmy's legs and undersides, then rubbed it into their fur. They've been out twice, playing in the abundant snow we're getting at the moment - and as they came in, there's hardly any snow stuck to them!! This might work!! I'm not sure how long a treatment will last - will let you know when I have to reapply. Ben and Jimmy say it stinks, though (lots of snorting after they got sprayed) - but I doubt they'd like Show Sheen any better...

I should add that I did NOT treat the bottoms of their feet for fear they'd be sliding all over the place on our tile floors....

Are you blow drying after applying or just letting them go out with the damp spray on them?
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
chrisnpat wrote:
Thanks Deb I will have to try that too....the silicone one would worry me a little if they started licking it....
Pawz thanks for the info on the Crown Royal....that w ould definitly be a issue with licking.....lol..

The Stuff is supposed to be non-toxic.
โ€ขStuff is a unique leave-in hair conditioner and dematting formula thats hypoallergenic and non-toxic
โ€ขFormulated with silicon to repel dirt, dust and urine so coats stay cleaner longer
โ€ขConditions and protects a pets coat while removing and preventing tangles
โ€ขThis concentrated 16-ounces size of the stuff is a ready to use
โ€ขMeasures 9-1/2-inch length by 2-1/2-inch width by 2-1/2-inch height

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
And it's now evening and Ben has been leaping into and through head-high snowdrifts (on HIM) and STILL comes in relatively snow-free
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Deb I will have to try that too....the silicone one would worry me a little if they started licking it....
Pawz thanks for the info on the Crown Royal....that w ould definitly be a issue with licking.....lol..
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
OK - the Miracle Coat is definitely working!! Ben and Jimmy just came in from a prolonged snowy romp - and Ben has ice and snow in his fur from his mid-line up. From his midline below - no snow (except for a bit around his toes)!! That's exactly where I applied the Miracle Coat! Same for Jimmy, only he's tall enough that the 8" snow depth doesn't splash up onto his back like it does with 13" tall Ben who's running through chest-deep snow. Now that he's thawing, Ben's face and back are drenched...

I suspect that ANY quality coat detangler would work??
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the Show Sheen - BUT - I did find an old spray bottle of Miracle Coat - it's a "coast lusterizer" and detangler that I used to use on Ike. No silicone (it has Tea Tree oil in it). Misted it over Ben and Jimmy's legs and undersides, then rubbed it into their fur. They've been out twice, playing in the abundant snow we're getting at the moment - and as they came in, there's hardly any snow stuck to them!! This might work!! I'm not sure how long a treatment will last - will let you know when I have to reapply. Ben and Jimmy say it stinks, though (lots of snorting after they got sprayed) - but I doubt they'd like Show Sheen any better...

I should add that I did NOT treat the bottoms of their feet for fear they'd be sliding all over the place on our tile floors....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
chrisnpat wrote:
Crown Royal?? Isn't that Whiskey??

LOL! This particular Crown Royal is actually Crown Royale

Crown Royale shampoos and conditioners
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Raindove we keep them with the puppy cut too, which is a lot better than a longer coat. I thought about sweaters but Im afraid they will over heat in the house.

Crown Royal?? Isn't that Whiskey??

Sounds like I will ck into "The Stuff" also......after we hear from Deb....lol
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Deb, if you try that Show Sheen, let us know if it works. Hopefully you have it by now.... sounds like this might be a good weekend to try it out.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
The Stuff does have silicone in it. I use it on my Shih Tzu sometimes, but not a lot. Supposedly the silicone can build up over time and make the coat brittle. As far as making it easy to remove twigs and stuff from the coat, I can't tell that The Stuff is really any better than any other detangler product, or better than using regular conditioner diluted with water.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they do! My mom's dog got his face completely iced over one daybwhen we were playing in the snow and digging out a cave. Pen also attracts the stuff. Show sheen might help.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading as much as I can find online - and people who take their poodle-mix dogs hiking swear by Show Sheen (which I think is just like "The Stuff" - only horse stuff is cheaper than dog stuff...LOL!) - they say it helps burrs/twigs, etc slide right out of the coat. I might give it a try - the worst that can happen is I give a bottle of Show Sheen to my granddaughter for her pony...

Old Biscuit - I'd do that if he had a REAL DOG coat...LOL!!! But he needs all the insulation he can get, he doesn't have an undercoat like the more outdoorsy breeds.

I found a complete-body dog "jogging suit" made of spandex - while I'm sure it would work, I'm just not ready to shell out $65+ bucks for it - eeeks! I'll try the Show Sheen first...
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I trim my cockers down to a puppy type clip. If the snow is deep, I have fleece jackets that have a nylon piece against the chest. This keeps the snow clinging to a minimum.

I also keep the paw pads clipped out really well - this helps to keep the snow from balling up on the hair and getting pushed into the paw pad.

Back in the day when I was able to keep them all in full coat, snow balls were a given in that long hair.

We generally shovel an area for them, and if it's icy we use Paw Safe ice melter.

As far as something to spray on them -- I've never heard of anything.

Edit: Back when we were showing, I used Crown Royal spray, and other times, something I think was called "The Stuff". I used to dilute it and spritz the dog when brushing between bathing. I think The Stuff had some silicon type ingredient in it. It made it a lot easier to brush mats out of the long show coats. But you spritzed, brushed and dried. I don't know if that would help repel the snow from the hair or not. Just a thought... clicky for The Stuff

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder