cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RIP Sweet Potsie

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Joe and I had to let Potsie go to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. I stayed with him and he passed peacefully. My vet was so kind and compassionate, and I held him in her grieving room the whole time (low light room with comfy chairs).

It was unexpected. Potsie, age 4, had recently started having difficulty jumping up on the couch, his chair, etc., and we thought it was his very bad back knees. We didn't know he had an underlying back problem. Friday night, he tried to jump up on the couch and miss.

By Saturday morning, his back end was paralyzed. He couldn't even go to the bathroom. We took him to the vet, who kept him a couple of days, putting him on steroids (he wasn't a case for surgery)for a ruptured disc. We visited each morning and evening and fed him (he wouldn't eat for the vet). By late afternoon yesterday, the vet had taken him off the steroid, b/c it was making him very sick (despite being given stomach coaters to protect his stomach), and it wasn't working anyway. We made the painful decision to let him go.

Potsie had a horrible, abusive life before we got him as a rescue, so at least he had a great two years while we had him. He'd also wormed himself into the hearts of all the staff at the vet's office and they were almost as upset as we were. Run free, sweet boy!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI
22 REPLIES 22

dturm
So sorry. Sometimes the best thing is to let them go, it sounds like you and your vet did everything possible. Our sympathies go out to you and your family.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for your loss. We went through this same thing with one of our dogs many years ago. We were fortunate, as the steroids did their job and he recovered.

From the photo of Potsie, I can see that he was well cared for and obviously loved by you very much. After going through the abuse, it's wonderful that you had him and showed him a great life for the time you had him.

And looking at it from Potsie's point of view -- you were strong enough to let him go and end his suffering. If he was still with the abusers, he could have had a very painful, lingering end.

Bless you for rescuing him and giving him the best time of his life, in the time he was with you.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
So very sorry for your loss. These Furry Kids come into our lives and give us their unconditional love. All the ask is to be loved back. Unfortunately, this love is what requires us to make that so very hard decision when the time comes.

Potsie is at the Bridge free of pain and will be there waiting for you when the time comes.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry to hear that. You have a kind soul and Potsie was a lucky dog that you came into his life.
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy. Thank you for giving him those two loving years of life.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
sorry for your loss. Just remember his memories will last in your hearts and you made sure he knew love the last few years.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry about Potsie...Poodles are so sweet and do worm their way right into your heart.
I'm glad Potsie got to know and live with a loving family, I wish it were longer but at least he had that.
RIP Potsie....

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Please know that you made the right choice and did the best thing. It is always difficult but you have four years of love.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!