cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RIP Sweet Potsie

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Joe and I had to let Potsie go to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. I stayed with him and he passed peacefully. My vet was so kind and compassionate, and I held him in her grieving room the whole time (low light room with comfy chairs).

It was unexpected. Potsie, age 4, had recently started having difficulty jumping up on the couch, his chair, etc., and we thought it was his very bad back knees. We didn't know he had an underlying back problem. Friday night, he tried to jump up on the couch and miss.

By Saturday morning, his back end was paralyzed. He couldn't even go to the bathroom. We took him to the vet, who kept him a couple of days, putting him on steroids (he wasn't a case for surgery)for a ruptured disc. We visited each morning and evening and fed him (he wouldn't eat for the vet). By late afternoon yesterday, the vet had taken him off the steroid, b/c it was making him very sick (despite being given stomach coaters to protect his stomach), and it wasn't working anyway. We made the painful decision to let him go.

Potsie had a horrible, abusive life before we got him as a rescue, so at least he had a great two years while we had him. He'd also wormed himself into the hearts of all the staff at the vet's office and they were almost as upset as we were. Run free, sweet boy!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI
22 REPLIES 22

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry about Potsie. Losing one is always hard but when they are young it also seems so unfair.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
It always brings tears to my eyes when I hear that someone has had to let their furbaby go to the Rainbow Bridge because it does hurt to let them go, but Potsie is certainly in good company with all of our babies to play with. You will be in my prayers.
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

randy328
Explorer
Explorer
A DOG'S PRAYER

So do not grieve for me, my friend,
as I am with my kind...

My collar is a rainbow's hue
My leash a shooting star
My boundaries are the milky way
Where I sparkle from afar.

There are no pens or kennels here
For I am not confined
But free to roam God's heavens
Among my special kind.

I nap the day on a snowy cloud
With gentle breezes rocking me
I dream the dreams of earthlings
And how it used to be.

The trees are full of liver treats
And tennis balls abound
And milk bones line the walking ways
Just waiting to be found.

There even is a ring set up
The grass all lush and green
And everyone who gaits around
Becomes the "Best Of Breed".

For we're all winners in this place
We have no faults you see
And God passes out the ribbons
To each one--even me.

At night I sleep in angels' arms
Their wings protecting me
And moonbeams dance about us
As stardust falls on thee.

So when your life on earth is spent
And you reach heaven's gate
Have no fear of loneliness
For here, you know I wait.

Author Unknown
KZ MXT2920, Ford F250 4dr long bed
Bunch of Motorcycles - Track Instruction and Race
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
What a heartbreaker! He was a beautiful boy and that's way too young. Sorry...
o

+1, I couldn't have express my condolences better! So sorry for your loss!

Lance and Calvin

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
What a heartbreaker! He was a beautiful boy and that's way too young. Sorry...
o
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry for your loss, but glad you could give Potsie a few wonderful years after such a tough start.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for everyone's kind condolences. Potsie was a "very serious poodle" as my vet lovingly called him - so true! He was such an old soul and a great cuddler. He'll be missed. Potsie has joined 4 other dogs we've had over the years that have also gone to the Bridge. It's hard to lose one, but I can't imagine not having a furry-friend or two!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

nabi
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry for your loss...letting them go is the hardest decision we have to make but it is the most loving thing we can do for them at times like this...Potsie knew love in your home and felt your love as he passed over.

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
I am so very sorry. You did everything you could for your sweet Potsie. My heart aches for you, it's so hard when something like this happens so unexpectedly.

Please take gentle care of each other. May your good memories sustain you in the coming days.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your great loss of Potsie. Bless you for letting him go and not letting him suffer anymore, and for the wonderful life you gave him while he was with you.

Rita

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Im sorry for your loss, Rest in Peace Sweet Potsie........
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

nana23
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like Potsie and you had a wonderful 2 years together - not nearly enough for you I know but what a beautiful gift to Potsie. I know from experience that time will allow your wonderful memories with him to ease the pain of loss. I hope he has met our Taz and Cody at the bridge and I am sure they are showing him all their favorite games while they wait.

Eileen
Don, Eileen and our 4-legged "kids"
Sophie, Riley and Tessa with
Taz and Cody waiting at the Rainbow Bridge and always in our hearts

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss. Our family knows what you are going through. We've had many pets and that last day is hard to get over. Think of the good times.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for such a loss. Bless you for giving Potsie 2 wonderful years

Barb and the 4 chocolates
Barb and the 4 chocolates