cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV doggie door

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived long enough to know that if it can be dreamed it can be done so here goes,
As the DW and I prepare to go full time I am trying to brainstorm a doggie door for our RV. So far I envision a doggie door for our small dogs in our coach.
I don't think it would work in the coach door, too much traffic.
I am actually thinking about a system where the door is installed in the side of the coach, perhaps through the bedroom wall. Outside there would be a ramp to the doggie door and a standard portable fence like pets mart sells. The ramp and portable fence could be folded up and easily stored flat in the basement when on the move.
Please submit your thoughts.
14 REPLIES 14

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous owners had a doggy door in the bedroom under the sink where there was a cabinet. They also had a ramp all the way down to the ground where they had a closed in area. This area was completely closed and covered. They had little poms who were older and needed to go out a lot. This allowed them to come and go as needed. We also have dogs but we choose not to use it. Going to put the cupboard door back on one of these days.

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owners of my Toy Hauler put Doggie Doors in the Garage. They are about 12" wide x 24" high. I sealed them up (so no one could get into the garage by crawling through it) until I can remove them completely.

As for me I would not to have anyway that my Girls could get out by themselves.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
doxiluvr wrote:
Most of the campgrounds and rv resorts require that dogs outside always be leashed and accompanied by their owner and most do not allow portable pens or dogs tied up to the rig. Maybe it is different in state parks or something, but I would not like to be next to somebody who lets their dogs out on their own, even very well behaved ones.

X2

I use my ex-pens at CG's where and when it is allowed. Open MH door, walk out, put dog in pen, and 'stay' outside with them. They are never left unattended.

Cutting holes in your RV just to let your dog out seems like a lot of work. Not to mention try selling that MH with a hole cut into the side!

Maybe not what you want to hear but why not just take you dog out yourself through a door that is already in your RV? :W:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the campgrounds and rv resorts require that dogs outside always be leashed and accompanied by their owner and most do not allow portable pens or dogs tied up to the rig. Maybe it is different in state parks or something, but I would not like to be next to somebody who lets their dogs out on their own, even very well behaved ones.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
If your dogs are outside, you need to be outside. Period, paragraph.

Especially with small...or as I like to say, "snack size" dogs. You need to be there to provide supervision and protection. An expen fence is NOT the same as a fenced yard at home, and even that isn't enough for small dogs in many cases.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or even squirrels, skunks, porcupines, armidillo, mice, pack rats, ants, etc.

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. If your dogs can go in and out, so can other animals. It would make coyote country interesting.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some great ideas. You may want to consider that many cgs are not allowing the portable fences anymore and insisting on leashed pets. Before you put all that hard work into the project, let me suggest you check the cgs you frequent the most and see if they allow the portable fencing.

If the cgs allow it, then I would go ahead and get the fencing now and see if the dogs comply with it before cutting into doors and floors. We camped next to a guy who had a similar setup and his doxies always found a way out of the fencing even though they couldn't hop over it. He was a volunteer and staying for the month.

Thank you for protecting our freedoms with your military service.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

BIKERK9
Explorer
Explorer
Doggie doors are great but you still need to comply with leash laws unless you have a ex-pen or fenced area. My dog is tied to a rope and secured to the coach or picnic table allowing her entry thru the door or rear ramp yet keeping her away from the roadway. Gotta think safety.
DoggyDaddy
2008 Damon Outlaw 37', WH-24, 8.1 GMC
Class A Toy Hauler
DoggyDaddy CommunityProfile

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Just another idea; Instead of cutting an opening in the wall of your coach. Could you not fashion an indoor and outdoor ramp to an existing window,(preferably low to the ground). Use a flexible screen in the window and teach the dogs to go up/down the ramps. Close the window when you want them to stay in. Of course, it all depends on the way the windows are placed in your coach.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sisters 5th wheel Montana has a short wall between the front door and the steps going up to the bedroom area. They installed a DOGGIE DOOR there to allow entrance to the pass through storage area for their large dog.

Worked out pretty good for them.

I don't know if they leave the storage doors open for the dog to get to the ground or not but the dog sleeps in the pass-thru storage area at night when they are camping.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I thought about a trap door into the basement for laundry, empting into a plastic tub but with basement space at a premium I am still looking at a trap door in the wall and a ramp that can either angle out at a 90 deg or be moved to be in line with the coach.

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen described a pet box made from a lower storage compartment. Screens are fashioned for when the access doors are open, and access is made through the floor of the coach, into the lower storage. The pets can be confined in the lower storage at will. They can be protected by the screens when the outer access is open. I suppose that when you fabricate the screens, you could provide exit to the ground outside.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like I've seen in 5th wheels with a trap door in the floor into a basement compartment and then leave the basement door open.