cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

taking my buddy with me

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided to take my dog, Nicky, with me on my trip this coming week. The last time I took him was when I had the pop-up, and he acted like a neurotic idiot the whole time. I am really hoping he does better this time. I like having company when I hike the trails. The Colby T should be more "homelike" for him. We'll see. Any advice out there?
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos
19 REPLIES 19

funfinderlisa
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 Labrador Retrievers, and they love to go camping with us! We got our travel trailer last year, and the first time camping in it, they were kind of unsettled, and trying to figure out why we were being so horrible as to expect them to sleep in their own little area instead of taking over the King sized bed with us like they do at home - but now they love it and get so excited to go camping. One thing I always do is take their dog beds from home, and they sleep very comfortable in the back of the truck while driving, and then we put the beds outside on a big mat once we get to the campground, and they love it! Also we stock up on bully sticks, and favorite toys when we go, and they have as much fun camping now as we do. Good luck!

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
How does he ride in the truck? If this starts the anxiety phase, you might try giving your dog something like Rescue Remedy, a natural calming supplement (available at health food stores). Our dogs will eat anything, so we just put some on a small piece of bread when we need to give them some.

Keep something on in the TT (tv or radio) to provide white noise, especially when you have to leave him for a few minutes. Keep blinds/curtains closed to limit visual stimulation, if seeing people/animals sets him off.

A tired dog is a good dog. Provide several walks a day. Since you're wanting to take him hiking with you, that should help a lot.

We take 2-3 dogs with us every time we camp. They've quickly become used to it and we all enjoy then experience.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Take a new bone or something similar so he has something to focus his energy on. He doesn't ride in the trailer does he? (That would make me neurotic) Otherwise, it's just a rid in the truck and then a new chew in the camper= fun/good times.
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I usually have the RV parked next to the house and I start serving meals in the RV a few days before we go. The RV quickly becomes a "happy place".
Larry

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I understand it there's calming meds you can give him but personally, I think the tt wil be the huge difference like you mentioned. Pop Ups are a different critter altogether.

Take his favorite treats and fave toy. Walk him several times a day in the vicinity of your tt and feed him a treat every now and then while walking. He'll see it's okay when he's with you unless he really does have a neuroses.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus