cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teeth

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I have 2 dachshunds. Both females. One, weighing 7 pounds and long pointed face has cavities on the 2 top front of her mouth and the teeth are very small. I estimate the width of the 2 teeth are no more than 5/16th of an inch. Will be making an appointment Monday to have them taken care of. The wife is already distraught because she will be put to sleep.

What are our options? Will the Vet. try to fill them or pull them? Overnight stay? Possibly stitches.

Here is the dilemma. They are twins, 3 1/2 years old and have never been away from each other except when they bring them back one at a time for nail clipping, shots and checkups. At that time the other one whines until they are back together and then they kiss and lick each others mouth and are highly active. Final trip outside before bed is on a leash and while the second one is waiting the other barks and whines. Please save me a tongue lashing from their lack of training and discipline.:B

We are concerned that an overnight stay would create much anxiety for both. If she is kept overnight there will not be anyone with her. We would like to bring her home and return when a followup is done. Is that possible?

We lost our wonderful Ouiser in 2015 after 14 1/2 years and when we got these the DIL named them Bleu and Belle after Blue Bell ice cream.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
18 REPLIES 18

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I think your questions would be better asked to your veterinarian rather than an internet forum!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a firm believer in having the dogs cleaned once a year. If they have bad breath there's a good probability they need cleaned. I also get a complete blood workup at the same time. I can't imagine letting a dog suffer with a infected tooth. Poor dental care can also lead to heart problems as well.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Dog teeth will get pulled. Sometimes its one day, sometimes overnight. Depends on the dog. Change diet, brush their teeth often. Their too young to already have dental desease
This, and we use Oravet dental chews with our Doxie. She didn't need to have her teeth cleaned until she was 5 y/o on this regimen.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Dog teeth will get pulled. Sometimes its one day, sometimes overnight. Depends on the dog. Change diet, brush their teeth often. Their too young to already have dental desease