Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The sad part of pet ownership—The sad update

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
See my post at end for the update.

We are probably done traveling for a while, and the longer the better in this case.

Our 12 year-old female Sheltie has tumors in her bladder. No fixing it, but we are trying a couple of medicines which may make it easier for her to void for a while.

She can’t urinate in a normal position and is incontinent at times or urgently needs to go, so she ends up with wet legs all of the time and we need to bathe her daily.

Just more than we want to deal with on the road. At home, she’s free to roam the farm and she can sit in her shady spots and go when she needs to. Easier on her and on us.

She’ll miss the trips and hiking as much as we will.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
28 REPLIES 28

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
It is the hardest thing but it is the last act of love for animal parents. Sorry for your loss and cherish the memories.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
May happy memories bring you comfort.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have our sympathies. It's never easy.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry. You did everything right by her, your beautiful companion. Yet, it will weigh on you for months to come. I know because we've been there many times, seems like too many, but for the love of a faithful companion this unfortunately comes with it. In spite of thos we will keep adopting and I hope you do too, in her memory.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have delt with cancer in 3 Collies and know how difficult it is to watch and care for them as they decline in health. We know the day is coming but it doesn't make it any easier the day it arrives.

Sorry for your loss, treasure the memories you had together.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My heart breaks for you. We had to put one of our Springers down two weeks ago. You did the best you could and carried out your final act of love. It's very hard to do but it's the right thing to do.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
Sounds like you gave her a wonderful couple of months before her passing. I know you will always treasure the time you had with her. Our sympathy to you and your family.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even when you KNOW this hard day is coming - it's still painful. It sounds like you gave your best friend the best life possible and she had fun days even towards the end. Sending Cyber hugs ((((HUG))))
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the day finally arrived. We put her down today.

The treatment really helped for the first couple of months and she was her old self.

We managed a road trip to the Boston area to take her to see our children who she loved.

About the 1st of November we found the cancer had spread and we knew the clock was ticking quickly. She was still comfortable and happy, so we took a short camping trip to one of our favorite campgrounds last week. She loved hiking and she walked an amazing amount, then would lay on her bed by the fire looking like a queen. We all had a good time.

She began to decline earlier this week. Wouldn’t eat and couldn’t get comfortable on her bed, so today we made the call. Lots of tears, and our male is pacing around trying to figure out why she isn’t here.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
An old expression (Dogs aren't are whole life but they make are life whole)

So, so true!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I hate owning dogs. They work their way into the most tender part of your heart and they definitely don't live long enough. We are on our 4th dog and he is going on 8 years old. I hope that he will be around a lot longer. He is sitting here looking at me and want to be petted. Time to pet the dog I guess because my eyes are going to start leaking.

Amen to that whole heart thing.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
I am sorry for your pain and hope you and the she can have some quality time for awhile. Our 20 yr old mix has developed dementia and has failing hind legs. She still has some time but it is these times that we must give back to them what they gave us,

Oh my gosh - 20 yr old! You and she are both blessed! You must be doing something right.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
the only thing wrong with dogs is that they do not live long enough.
That's why we always have three.

We would have so many more if we could, but don't for various reasons. We've had three too, but over time and one of them passing, we're now down to two. I'd like a third again, but hubby says no for right now.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry for your pain and hope you and the she can have some quality time for awhile. Our 20 yr old mix has developed dementia and has failing hind legs. She still has some time but it is these times that we must give back to them what they gave us,
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI