cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt batteries for house battery

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to use 12 volt batteries for house battery? I never boondock and am looking at cost over longevity.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!
11 REPLIES 11

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get a maintenance free 12 volt jar. It will meet your needs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
One 12v battery is all you need. The only time you will be using the battery is while you are hooking up at the campsite, or loading up at home. While hooked up at the campsite the power hookup will supply your power, while the engine is running the alternator will supply the power.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
God only knows why these knowitalls here would be talking 2....much less 4 6v GC batteries. Any ole 12v battery will be fine if you don't camp off grid.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rfsod48 wrote:
Is it possible to use 12 volt batteries for house battery? I never boondock and am looking at cost over longevity.

A GC-2 (Six volt) pair is around 220 Amp Hours and costs about the same as a pair of Group 24's (150 amp hours)

IF you goof and run the G-24s way down the Group XX batteris down they tend not to come back Where as I ran my GC-2s down 4 or 5 times and they came back, Lasting a total of 9 years.

I would stick with GC-2's Unless you go to something like a single Group 31 there is not much savings.. Plus There are other advantages.

I suspect if you graph cost over life.. GC-2's will be lowest cost. I know if you graph Amp Hours/Dollar they are the best but I think years/dollars will work out the same way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Eternally lugged-in that battery only does duty as a filter capacitor. Actually a starting or calcium calcium battery is the better choice. They consume less water and have less of an antimony issue, especially after several years.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
rfsod48 wrote:
No, for motor home instead of 4 6 volt batteries.
A single group 27 (12v) from Costco or Walmart is fine.

MrWizard
moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
rfsod48 wrote:

I have one 12V car battery as the coach/house battery - so Yes you can use one or more 12V batteries. Your four 6Vs would map to two 12V batteries wired in parallel.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
Not sure I understand your question; do you want to use 12v batteries for your regular stick and brick house?
Not sure.. after all, he never boondocks in his house.

One 12v battery is fine for never boondocking. 4 6v is way overkill for on-grid camping.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I understand your question; do you want to use 12v batteries for your regular stick and brick house?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"