cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt power outlet

Grampa_T
Explorer
Explorer
I need to create a 12 volt power outlet near the bed in the rear of our Jayco Class C. Have to provide for a CPAP hookup. Any suggestions on how yo do it? We have dual house batteries in a compartment on the driver's side under the bedroom floor.
13 REPLIES 13

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:

You will then have to charge the CPAP battery. With what?

Plugged into a 110 outlet while the generator is running and charging the main batteries. Just a little extra battery capacity.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
We run two CPaps every night. Small draw of power. With ours, we are NOT to use humidifier while on 12v. We have two wire runs from the battery to separate 12v receptacles. Uses MUCH less power on 12V than using our house inverter would. A small inverter will draw less than the house inverter but a 12V plug and cord draws only the power you are using, not wasting any in converting to 110v.

Think you will find the 12v receptacles work well. Good luck!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Respironics BiPAP. Humidifier on 5 (max) 2.67 amperes at 12.24 vdc @ 14 inspiration event.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
run the cpap in passover mode and it won't take much power.
bumpy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
I also intend to try and get one with it's own battery 'cause when it is chilly at night the little furnace takes a pretty big bite out of the battery charge just by itself (along with other incidentals).

That one is easy. The same generator run time that charges the house battery. I fully see the logic of Sam's wanting a separate battery for the CPAP. The furnace can not run down the battery running the CPAP, and they can be recharged at the same time.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Sam Spade wrote:
I also intend to try and get one with it's own battery 'cause when it is chilly at night the little furnace takes a pretty big bite out of the battery charge just by itself (along with other incidentals).

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
I'll be into this soon too.....but have this nagging feeling that it is the money making designer ailment du jour.
At my last physical my doctor seemed surprised I was not on cpap... as if it's normal for older folks. Geesh.. I can breathe fine doc!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be into this soon too.....but have this nagging feeling that it is the money making designer ailment du jour. Guess I'll see if I notice any real difference or not.

Anyhow, my C has a 12 V outlet in the bedroom intended for a TV. I'm hoping that it will work for the CPAP too......but I also intend to try and get one with it's own battery 'cause when it is chilly at night the little furnace takes a pretty big bite out of the battery charge just by itself (along with other incidentals).
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You just need to pull the wire from the battery or the fuse panel to where you need it.
If pulling wire proves difficult and you have a 120v outlet... consider a small inverter.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
The label on the bottom of my CPAP says 6.67 amps. Not sure if that is the pump only or if it includes the humidifier, which is detachable. I'd be more comfortable with a separate fused outlet for it. Check your CPAP, which may have different requirements.

Also, do you have the manufacturer's 12V cord for it?
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cpap and batteries
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
My immediate thoughts are to wire an outlet right next to a reading light, but not sure how much power a cpap requires. If it's significant power, you'd be better off runni g a dedicated fused line.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, buy a quality 12v receptical and hard wire it to the batteries,....or the 12v distribution panel w/ at least 12ga wire,.10 gage if over 15 ft
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.