cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt pump to seven pin

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a portable water tank with a 12 volt pump that I want to wire to a seven pin connector so I can plug it in to the truck to operate.
Does anybody know which pins to use? Tried using the white and black, but have to turn ignition on for it to work.
Want it to work with ignition off.
2008 F250 Deisel

thx
15 REPLIES 15

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Byrogie wrote:
Lenny K wrote:
Byrogie wrote:
Lenny K wrote:
You could always put a female end to your water pump and use the trailer seven pin connector. You always have constant on power at the trailer.

The whole idea is convenience. If I need to put the truck close enough to reach the trailer connector, then I can use the alligator clips directly to the trailer battery.

I put a 15 ft cord onto to my water pump which I can disconnect and use on my macerator. I also put connects on the end so I can either use a female or male plug. It's all about "convenience".

Duh! I use a macerator as well, hook up to an old battery with clips.
So can I make a cord to hook up to the trailer umbilical and can use for both?.

You sure can and I do all the time. I use 2 pin diconnects which work very well for this application.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Lenny K wrote:
Byrogie wrote:
Lenny K wrote:
You could always put a female end to your water pump and use the trailer seven pin connector. You always have constant on power at the trailer.

The whole idea is convenience. If I need to put the truck close enough to reach the trailer connector, then I can use the alligator clips directly to the trailer battery.

I put a 15 ft cord onto to my water pump which I can disconnect and use on my macerator. I also put connects on the end so I can either use a female or male plug. It's all about "convenience".

Duh! I use a macerator as well, hook up to an old battery with clips.
So can I make a cord to hook up to the trailer umbilical and can use for both?.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just rewired my center pin on my 7 pin connector to be always hot.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Byrogie wrote:
Lenny K wrote:

Lenny and Ros
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
You could always get ;thisI use one with my 2 collapsible water tanks. Works great. You can get one from Amazon.com for $20.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Lenny K wrote:

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Voltmeter won't do nothing more give you something to read while its supplying power. It's has power for x amount of minutes or untill you open the door with the key off. I guess a saftey feature from killing the battery. Same goes for the interior lights if you leave them on by accident the power will be turned off in x amount of minutes.
If he wants contant power he'll have to wire it from the battery.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Voltmeter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Correct about the Ford power relay. Just use your parking lights switch you don't need the key on for it but will have to wire it to the running light connector.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Lenny and Ros

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am using a seven pin because I have one laying around, and the connection is in the box which is handy.
According to the diagram above, I should be able to do positive(red) to black and negative(black) to white, yes/no?
This is what I did but it won't work unless the ignition is on??
Is it because it's a Ford? The neighbor's works on his Chevy....

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Byrogie wrote:
I have a portable water tank with a 12 volt pump that I want to wire to a seven pin connector so I can plug it in to the truck to operate.
Does anybody know which pins to use? Tried using the white and black, but have to turn ignition on for it to work.
Want it to work with ignition off.
2008 F250 Deisel

thx

You have it wired correctly, but your truck has a disconnect installed that shuts off trailer power when the ignition is off.

Perhaps a Ford guru can speak to any possibility of bypassing the disconnect.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I used the 4 pin connector instead of the 7pin

This is mine. When using it I just turn the parking lights on turn lights off when finished.