cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V Outlet Wiring Recommendations?

TrekkerB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Chevy Express 3500 and I'm trying to install auxillary 12V outlets at the rear bench seats. In all, I want to add 3 additional outlets, 2 in the rear and 1 in the dash. Each outlet is rated at 20amps, but I doubt that they will ever see that kind of power draw. Initially, my plan was to simply pull a set of 8 gauge wires from the battery and branch off it with 10-12 gauge wire for the individual outlets.

Ideally, I would put a 60 amp breaker at the battery and put a 20 amp fuse at each outlet location. However, I think I would need heavier gauge wire for this and I can't even find 8 gauge wire locally.

Now I'm thinking about pulling 10 gauge instead and using a 30 amp breaker with a 10-15 amp at each location (don't think I would ever have a heavy load at more than one location at a time). Would this work? Any better suggestions? Total run is about 25 feet one direction.
6 REPLIES 6

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
In case you wanted to wait for a 100 ft roll of red/blk twin lead 10 ga,
Ebay has it for 35 bucks incl shipping,.....unlike the link above that shows it for the ridiculous price of $129 !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

TrekkerB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks'

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes it will work. You can fuse the #10 at 40 amps and the sockets at 20 amps.

Here is your #8

TrekkerB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply...I had thought about running separate circuits, but I'm trying to avoid having to pull so many wires through the firewall and having a bunch of terminals attached to the battery if possible. Would the setup that I suggested work?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu can get 10GA fairly easily, Run a 10GA run to each outlet.

Many sources for 10Ga "Zip Cord" (highly flexible Speaker wire with red/black jacket) including West Mountain Radio (Google them) and Ham Radio stores such as GigaParts, HRO (Ham Radio Outelt) Amateur Electronics Supply and DX Engineering Radio Shack has 14GA WITH Red/Black and 12 ga Clear insulated (12 ga is heavy enough but 10 is less loss)

You can get 50 or 100 foot rolls in most cases

here is a link for the wire

West Mountain Radio
You may need to scroll down a bit to find the spools of wire, the 100' er is last on the page.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Do it, you'll like it.
That is heavier than you find in most RVs
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.