cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1979 dodge mobile traveler 360cl wont pass emissions

zerxyx
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I have a 1979 dodge mobile traveler with a 360cl engine, and i cant get it to pass emissions. The CO2 level is the issue.

I have changed the oil and the spark plugs and things improved but it still fails on co2.

any ideas on what to try next?

Scott
33 REPLIES 33

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
when we had emissions testing here on my camper van i had to adjust my idle mixture screws on the carburetor in until the engine just started to stumble at idle a bit to get it to pass. there was a one year exemption issued if it would not pass after several tries to give you time to get it fixed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per California DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

"Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles EXCEPT diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow.. a vehicle that old still has to pass emissions? I wonder how all those old stinky-ass pickups I get behind are allowed on the road. And those jackasses who blow black smoke, on purpose.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Very doubtful with today's emission standards if you put everything new on that motor it will pass.But if you want to put money into it a new carb and catalytic converter and new exhaust system will help