cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1994 Onan OIl Shut of Switch wire???

The_RV_Snowman
Explorer
Explorer
MY generator keeps shutting off from a malfunctioning oil cut off switch. has anyone here cut the wire from the switch and had their generator run again?
4 REPLIES 4

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect example of why model and serial number is needed.
Does it have a pressure switch. I don't know
Does it have a oil level switch. I don't know
Is it splash lubed. I don't know
Does it have an oil pump. I don't know.
Can you get a good answer. NO.

I don't know because I don't have any idea what genset you have. 1994 means nothing. Onan made over 20 RV versions that year.

Not picking on you. But with knowing what you have. No one can help you.
Which one is it. AJ,BG,BGE,NH,NHE,CCK,BF,BFA,KV,KY.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
HOW do you know it is a malfunctioning oil pressure switch? Besides, you just remove the wire from the switch and ground to disable it. IF you have an oil pressure problem and your engine burns up, how much money do you think that will cost you? TOO much oil will cause intermittent oil pressure switch problems as well as too little oil. Doug

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
The RV Snowman wrote:
MY generator keeps shutting off from a malfunctioning oil cut off switch. has anyone here cut the wire from the switch and had their generator run again?

Why would you disable a safety switch?
I do not know which Onan you have so I cannot help for sure but; Some older Onans had a problem with foaming oil making the pressure switch shut the engine off. Onan's cure was to run the unit 1/2 to one quart low to stop the problem, Onan even had a new dipstick made to show the engine full of oil with one quart missing. Is yours one of them?
Maybe someone here will remember which model it was.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
Might be wiser to replace the switch than cut the wire. Better to know that the oil pump is working. I think I would put a manual oil pressure guage on it and check the pressure. MOHO
N4FAP