cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 Ford E350 timing belt replacement. ?

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
With 75,000 miles on my Ford E350 Super Duty V10 I was wondering about timing belt replacement recommendations? I looked in my maintenance book and there is no mention of timing belt replacements? Don't they have timing belts ?

Also, with 75,000 miles should I be concerned about anything else?

I have never done anything with the rear axle or ball joints, suspension , etc just had the shocks replaced.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
11 REPLIES 11

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Shudda gotcha a rubber camshaft.
The faster it turns, the wilder the grind...

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
My Toyota 22 RE with fuel injection had the timing chain and sprockets last about 180k miles before it was so stretched as to be reducing my MPG's. $400 later, it was completely replaced. Around year 2002, I believe.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The chain should last a long time. My kid's Mitsubishi went 300,000 miles before the chain broke.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
sprockets are steel

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Are the camshaft sprocket teeth steel, or nylon? Back in the sixties when I wrenched, I decided around 90% of timing chain faults were due to the nylon teeth on the factory cam gear and the failures had nothing to do with the chain or steel crank sprocket.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.....all 6.8's have a timing chain on each head.
cpaulsen

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the feedback.. Glad to hear that I have timing chains that are good for 200,000 miles....
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I'd think about changing the oil in the tranny. May be overkill but I do it every 50,000.

Doug

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.7L Triton V10 has overhead cams so it has two very long timing chains!

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
No worries on it at only 75k miles.. As was said, it's a chain and has self adjusters on it to compensate for any wear.

You should be good for well over 200k miles unless some other catastrophic event occurs..

Now, you will want to change the plugs at around 100k miles, and you will need to make sure they are done right, or you could have a plug spit itself out... But, that's only if the plug change is not done correctly (proper torque on the plugs at time of change and NO ANTI SEIZE ON THE THREADS!)

On my 97 F150 with a 5.4 in it (same modular engine design as the V10) I went over 225,000 miles on it and 2 plug changes (I did them myself) and never had any issues with it..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Craig_A
Explorer
Explorer
Probably no timing belt. Those are usually on auto applications. Most trucks have timing chains which do not need replacement unless timing slips. The ball joints on my 2002 F250 and my 2005 F150 both lasted about 200,000 miles before needing replacement. I usually have the rear end oil changed every 100,000.
Beautiful wife of 38 years
Female Yellow Labrador Retriever
18 year old Amazon Parrot
2015 Fleetwood Southwind 36J