cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 generators simultaneously for backup power

deshemar
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a question i thought some of you might have a thought toward. I am planning on getting the champion inverter gennie for some general use. However I was thinking about some backup power for my home. Here is my thought. (i do realize that i need to do the following in a safe manner that uses a manual transfer switch to protect the power linesmen)
In order to have enough wattage to power some of my home items i would also purchase a second non-nverter gennie and use it to power one leg of a 220 breaker, and the inverter gennie to power the other leg of a 220, both wired to neutral and ground.
(Not using the parallel type set-up)
The real question is would this cause any issue.
- from using inverter/non-inverter?
- would two different gennies providing power be a problem for well pump or electric water heater?
- would there be too much "distortion" in the power supply to be useful?

Other thoughts?
thanks!
unfortunately RV-less for now, will be back to the fun in a few years!!!
19 REPLIES 19

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I know one safe way to do it, which was going to be part of a (for now, abandoned) van conversion project:

A Victron or Magnum Energy inverter, with two 120VAC sources can easily do the above. You won't be doing dangerous stuff like trying to power individual legs at different frequencies... but the inverter will take the incoming power from both sides, put it in the battery bank, and at the same time, push out pure 240VAC that is clean and up to proper codes. Note, this is not cheap, but this is the right way to do it to have the ability to run a load from two generators at the same time.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
You won't be able to power any 240 vac loads, presumably your pump, water heater, etc. Resistive loads like the water heater just won't work right, but a motor could be quite damaged, as could the generator. They require that the two legs of the input be 100% synchronized. You could power some 120 volt loads off one leg from one generator and some off the other leg and generator, but you couldn't really do it safely. It's against code for anything inside of a panel to be powered from two independent sources, for one thing.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

MrWizard
Bad idea
Shared neutral..on out of phase wave forms
Could fry both generators
Buy one generator that does 230v
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
No this is a bad idea. Don't do it.

The Yamaha/Honda units can be paired because they are inverter based and specifically designed to match line frequency...but even they don't do 220v.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
All lights, appliances etc that run on 120 volts (ie one leg) would be OK but anything on 240 volts would not as the sources would not be synchronized as far as waveform was concerned. They would be "out of phase".
Stove, water heater, well pump, A/C etc. would need to be isolated.
Personally I don't think it's a "good idea".
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.