Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3000W Chinese Gensets Info.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
EDIT ADDED 45/5/2013- When this thread started in March of 2005, I never expected to see it survive this long or amass the quantity of information that has been shared here.

In the eight year run of this thread we have amassed almost 10,000 postings and surpassed a million views. This creates somewhat of a dilemma for anyone who has just discovered the forum.

Since the amount of information is virtually overwhelming, I suggest you set your preferences for this thread to read "newest first" and then begin to page backwards.

What you will find in these pages is a wealth of info on virtually any make or model of Chinese manufactured synchronous (non-inverter) generator in the 3,000 watt performance class. Info will include how to rewire series coils to parallel to obtain maximum wattage from a single 120 volt outlet. Tips on further reducing sound levels, how to care for these generators, which ones are "RV ready" and provide the best overall performance for the dollar invested. Which companies NOT to deal with, where the best prices are, how to safely wire the generator into a home or RV, how to check your RV for electrical faults, sources for generator accessories, which 20/30 adapters are safe to use and which are not. How to convert a gasoline generator to propane or NG. This is only the beginning. The forum has a life of its own with the focus sub-topic switching frequently. Still, the main topic of utilizing the amazing, inexpensive Chinese gensets is always there. The amount of creativity and innovation presented in these pages is indicative of the talents shared in the diverse backgrounds of the folks who make up our combined RV community.

Many of the original brands and models of Chinese gensets mentioned in the introduction and early pages of the thread have since disappeared. New EPA and CARB emissions requirements, company bonds assuring the emissions warranty will be honored even if the company goes out of business, and fierce competition in the industry have changed the playing field. Champion Power Equipment has become the apparent "trophy team" providing an ever expanding retail outlet, an ample parts supply, a strong warranty and excellent customer service. CPE has continued to improve their product and now offers a new model (#46538) with exclusive convenience, safety and performance features aimed at the RV market. Big names like Cummins/Onan, Honda and Generac all now have Chinese built open frame synchronous gensets available. Ironically, the prices often found on these gensets has not significantly changed during the past eight years - even with the devaluation of the American Dollar and new EPA/CARB requirements.

I also encourage you to use the search function and even the advanced search options to find information. Key works such as "rewiring", "PowerPro", "Champion", "Onan Homesite", "Duropower", "ETQ", "Jiung Dong or JD", "Tractor Supply", "Costco", "Lowe's" and "Home Depot" are all examples of keywords that will give you specific information on different models being sold by retailers today.

Or, you can fill your glass with your favorite beverage (keep more close by - maybe some munchies as well :D, sit back at your computer, tell your wife (or significant other) that you will see her in the morning and spend the next 10 or so hours reading through the postings.

No one on the forum gets mad if you ask a question that is a repeat. Please do not hesitate to post to the forum. All questions are considered important and those active on the forum will do their best to respond with a valid answer.

Also note we are not out to knock the Honda, Yamaha, Kipor or other brands of high end digital gensets. We recognize the quality of these products and their suitability for quite, efficient RV use. But, there is a flood of reliable, inexpensive and comparatively lower cost gensets coming out of China that are excellent alternative choices for the RVer wanting power to run an air conditioner, microwave, etc. without excessive noise or breaking the budget.

Oh, one last thing. The folks on this forum are true gentlemen. We do not flame one another or the product discussed - period. Ugly contributors usually have their comments and remarks ignored by our masses. It is not a forum to start arguments to obtain a clear win. We do disagree on many issues, but we have all agreed to do that in a respectable manner.

We now have the introduction of more and more inverter gensets. There is a rather extensive thread named "The Official Unofficial Champion 2000i Generator" on this forum. Today, I added info on the new Champion 3100i inverter genset. Discussion on this product may get moved to its own thread at a later date.

Many have looked upon this thread with distain saying Chinese is cheap and doomed to failure. I remember saying exactly the same thing about Japanese products a few decades back. But, over the past eight years the track record for Chinese built generators has shown otherwise.

Please, join us in a fascinating journey down the Chinese built genset road of knowledge.

This is the question I posted that got it all started back in March 2005.......

Randy

For a little over a month now, I have been somewhat intrigued by the availability of a 3000 watt, 6.5 HP generator at Pep Boys and Northern Tool for under $300.00. The engine on this generator looks identical to a Honda 6.5 HP OHV engine. Knowing that the Chinese have become very adept at โ€œcloningโ€ reputable technologies from other manufacturers, I was not surprised at the similarities. Neither store could give me any information on the generator nor did they have a โ€œrunningโ€ display model.

I have done a little research. This is what I have discovered:

Many of these generators are imported by ELIM International (www.eliminternational.com) out of Buffalo, New York from Jiung Manufacturing in China. (The unit at Northern is identical but carries the JIUNG name.)

The engines are indeed a Chinese knockoff of the popular 6.5 HP 196cc Honda Engine. โ€œSupposedlyโ€ Honda has licensed the engine technology to the Chinese manufacturer of the product.

The Chinese company that makes the ELM3000 generators is a rather large, diverse, long-standing company with a reputation for โ€œabove average qualityโ€ Chinese made products (Jiung Manufacturing). There are many more Chinese companies making almost identical gensets.

The generators at PepBoys do have a six month limited warranty. But, it is only on the engine (not the generator) and requires paying for shipping to and from Buffalo. Probably not a very practical thing to do if you have warranty issues.

ELIM does supply replacement parts (a PDF parts manual is available on the ELIM web site). No prices are given for replacement parts nor is there an โ€œavailability listingโ€.

The generator head itself is a brushless design. The only really significant wear parts in the generator are the bearings โ€“ most likely universally available.

The published dB rating is 67 at 23 feet. This is โ€œreasonablyโ€ quite for a generator of this size as most comparabl.... The 67 dB rating is the same as Honda gives their 3000 watt CycloInverter with a โ€œlook alikeโ€ eng...

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.
10,029 REPLIES 10,029

weissmand
Explorer
Explorer
Prof - Quick side question. How does the new Ice maker work? How much do you produce and in what period of time. I'm thinking of getting one to use when I recharge daily. If I can make enough Ice in a couple of hours, it might be worth it.

Thanks!

josh

weissmand
Explorer
Explorer
Prof - Quick side question. How does the new Ice maker work? How much do you produce and in what period of time. I'm thinking of getting one to use when I recharge daily. If I can make enough Ice in a couple of hours, it might be worth it.

Thanks!

josh

weissmand
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks!

josh

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
wuttevr wrote:
It's like Prego; "it's in there". Somewhere out there is a subsequent post detailing the finished product with sound level tests, materials used, and my observations about improvements. It all fell on mostly deaf ears. The ironic thing about this forum is there are lots of really good ideas, just as long as they come from a select few

Hummmm....... Interesting comment. I imagine Bell, Ford and Edison felt the same way at some point as well.

Would you kindly point us to "Somewhere out there"? I am not at all sure I had the opportunity of being there.

(Edit added later in the day:)

After some thought.... is your reference to the cigar smoke story? If so, it definately was not ignored. In fact, it was an item that was forefont in my mind as I designed my enclosure.

Interestingly enough, considering present company on the forum, it appears Floyd, Brad and I are the only ones who have actually built enclosures for our gennys. In my situation, I drew from every possible suggestion - even the one about a chimney!

It's all part of an active learning process, right?
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

Wuttevr
Explorer
Explorer
Old & Slow wrote:
Wuttevr,

I just reread your post of 8/02/06. Air flow. Honda smarts. Can you bring us up to date on your solution for the flow of air from the engine fan that blows over the engine toward the muffler. Your first idea was a insulated baffle to direct the air flow. Like Honda? I have worked lots of tricks with this air flow thing, but, maybe you have something up your sleeve? I like the idea of using the stock frame. Built lots of boxes, none meet my fancy.

Floyd

It's like Prego; "it's in there". Somewhere out there is a subsequent post detailing the finished product with sound level tests, materials used, and my observations about improvements. It all fell on mostly deaf ears. The ironic thing about this forum is there are lots of really good ideas, just as long as they come from a select few.

-back to my bowl of sour grapes..............

Good luck in your quest, Floyd, and Godspeed.

Best,
Wuttever
No more

SonicLogic
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
Hi all,

I just bought a Champion 3500/4000 generator after reading all the positive posts in this thread. I have not had the chance to do more than put oil in it and start it once or twice and I have a couple of questions

1) The engine runs at a fairly high RPM. When I put a good load on it, will it speed up or is it running on "high" all the time?

2) I've read here that I should "exercise" the generator periodically by giving it a load to deal with. What besides the AC on my trailer, which is inconvenient, would provide a good load easily?

TIA,
Eric
The generator will run at the same RPM (3600) all the time in order to maintain the correct frequency of 60 Hz. When you exercise the generator, a small load such as a 100 watt light bulb is sufficient. If you want to use more, then a common hair dryer will draw up to 1200 or 1500 watts.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I just bought a Champion 3500/4000 generator after reading all the positive posts in this thread. I have not had the chance to do more than put oil in it and start it once or twice and I have a couple of questions

1) The engine runs at a fairly high RPM. When I put a good load on it, will it speed up or is it running on "high" all the time?

2) I've read here that I should "exercise" the generator periodically by giving it a load to deal with. What besides the AC on my trailer, which is inconvenient, would provide a good load easily?

TIA,
Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
trumptman88 wrote:
Anyone have any particular thoughts about the cleaning of these generators my particular one being the Champion RV Ready 3500watt.

I found that Compressed Air was my friend when cleaning gensets that had been out on rental. If there are areas that have the sand/silt "glued on" by engine oil that might have leaked some Electrical Cleaner (CRC brand is one) works quite well as it disolves the oil and evaporates quickly. Doesn't seem to bother paint either. Today most rental shops just clean them up with a pressure washer and let them dry before sending them out again. You'd be surprised what these generators will withstand. They certainly aren't "Watches".
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
trumptman8 wrote:
Anyone have any particular thoughts about the cleaning of these generators my particular one being the Champion RV Ready 3500watt.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, my generator is used almost exclusively for when we camp at Glamis. That environment is quite rough on everything that is out there and it has done a great job. However it does look every bit the part of a generator that has cumulatively set outdoors in the finest sand desert for several weeks. I would like to clean it up and make it look like new again.

Secondly I bashed my generator against another object while moving it and crushed the plastic that covers the voltmeter. Anything similar that might fix and cover it?

Cover the fins or slots in the end on the generator head with tape or foil to exclude water.

Spray with a water based degreaser such as Purple Stuff (do NOT use Gunk engine degreaser).

Let sit a few minutes and hose off.

Cautions:
  • Cleaners such as Purple Stuff can discolor paint - always test first.
  • Do not spray into front panel where sockets, meters or switches reside.
  • Make sure gas cap is on tight.
  • Start and run engine immediately after cleaning to dry.

Follow the Wiz's advice for the meter.

Enjoying life camping at the beach!

beach1

beach2

beach3

beach4

beach5

New Accessory from Target ($109.00 on sale).....

Portable Icemaker 1

Portable Icemaker 2

MrWizard
those meters are a pretty common item, should be able to get one the same size from a electronics hobby / surplus store and replace the cover or meter

might even be able to get a replacement from champion, call the number on the genny and ask them how much for the replacement meter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

trumptman88
Explorer
Explorer

As I have mentioned in previous posts, my generator is used almost exclusively for when we camp at Glamis. That environment is quite rough on everything that is out there and it has done a great job. However it does look every bit the part of a generator that has cumulatively set outdoors in the finest sand desert for several weeks. I would like to clean it up and make it look like new again.

Secondly I bashed my generator against another object while moving it and crushed the plastic that covers the voltmeter. Anything similar that might fix and cover it?

COnative
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI,
Altitude report...

Just spent the last week in the San Juans and Umcompaghre National Forest. Boondocked the whole time at 9600 and 9800 ft. The Champion started first pull every day and ran flawlessly. Also tested AC at that altitude and it ran no problem. Great generator!!! High elevation was not a problem for my machine.

Matt
2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
2021 Lance 865
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set
Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen Set
All torklift

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Gimpy Prof,

Well, some folks dive into a dry pool, sure glad our Prof has his head on straight. Nother thing, Prices. My Champion looks better every day. Shinned her yesterday and two pulls on the ol' rope and bingo, off and running. I still like Yellow and Black and 3000 watts of pure power. Be more safe on this next outing and get back to us folks. Your missed.

Floyd

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
We are back home for a two day turn around. Unload the jet ski, load up the golf cart, trade the water skis for boogie boards and put the boat in the garage before heading down to the NC oceanfront. We should have WiFi Internet access most of the time on this part of the trip. Your's truly managed to pull a real boner Wednesday and tore the Peroneus Longus Tendon in my left ankle while stupidly trying to jump out of our boat onto dry land. It's on ice and in a brace, doesn't feel too good but I am walking - with a gimp.

Here is something to ponder if you are looking to buy a generator any time soon. I don't have a crystal ball, but the outlook is for higher prices and lower inventories.

--------------------------

Thinking about buying a Chinese or Japanese generator but havenโ€™t taken the plunge?

Are you still hoping that rebates or lower prices will be just around the corner?

My advice is not to wait any longer. Economic indicators point to higher prices for Chinese generators and even Japanese generators since many components on the later are made in China.

The US dollar is continuing to fall in relation to the Chinese Yuan. Click here for exchange reference.

The Chinese government is shutting down non-essential industries in hopes of getting the air cleaner for the Olympics. The shutdown could easily last 2 months. Foundries and generator building companies will be affected. Businessweek Story here.

China is finding it difficult to continue current subsidies on the cost of gas, diesel and other oil based energy sources. The price of fuel was increased 18% two weeks ago. Many believe that even higher prices for fuel in China will prevail after the Olympics. Stories here and
more here.

The cost of shipping cargo containers from China to US ports is soaring due to rising oil prices. The ships that move these cargo containers are not sail boats!

Overland freight costs are also on the increase. Again the culprit is rising oil prices.

Major suppliers of electricity are increasing their rates. The increased cost of heating, cooling and lighting US based warehouses, stores and offices will be passed on to consumers.

If a major hurricane hits the US this summer, current supplies of generators will evaporate quickly. As the supply declines, costs will rise.

Existing inventories of generators built by the now defunct Coleman-Powermate factory are declining rapidly. Big box stores like Home Depot and Loweโ€™s are turning to the Chinese generator market to fill the supply gap. But, supplies are falling and thus prices will rise.

If you want a small generator for RV or home backup use, better get one while you can at todayโ€™s bargain prices.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Wuttevr,

I just reread your post of 8/02/06. Air flow. Honda smarts. Can you bring us up to date on your solution for the flow of air from the engine fan that blows over the engine toward the muffler. Your first idea was a insulated baffle to direct the air flow. Like Honda? I have worked lots of tricks with this air flow thing, but, maybe you have something up your sleeve? I like the idea of using the stock frame. Built lots of boxes, none meet my fancy.

Floyd