Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30A to 50A

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
What size wire should I use to make my own 30A to 50A dog bone
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
19 REPLIES 19

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wouldn't the length of the dogbone cord be a consideration also? I'm guessing the standard 6" won't be much different, but what if it's only 2 or 3 inches? Or if it's 1 to 2 feet?

I don't know the answer - just looking for one for knowledge. ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
10 ga. Regardless of which way your going the adapter will see no more than 30 amps.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty sure if you purchase off the shelf at WalMart it will be #10 either way.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Any circuit fused for 30 amps must use a minimum of 10 gauge copper or 8 gauge aluminum.

6 gauge is required for 50 amp. Consider you are making a dog-bone, starting with 30 amps and passing on 30 amps passed the dog bog, I see no need to throw a 6 gauge in there, which is what is needed for 50 amp. But, nothing says you could not use anything heavier than 10 gauge? Just don't use anything less.

(If you were going from 50 to 30, then I would strongly advise making the dog-bone with the 6 gauge.)

Edit:
I'm plugged into a 30 amp box right now and my camper is 50 amp. The dog-bone is store bought. Under this circumstance, basically no matter what I do in the camper will never trip the main 50 amp breaker in the camper. Once the power usage reaches 30 amps, it will pop the breaker at the shore power box. So, the maximum amp draw from the breaker box is going to be ONLY 30 amps, never anything more. So all the wiring needs to be at least 30 amp rated. (Hope this makes sense).

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Which is the supply side?

10g for 30a, 6g for 50a
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed