cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30amp Y Splitter for 2 RV's

Galvinized
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 30amp service on my barn for the purpose of running my travel trailer electric system with A/C. It serves as a bunk house for boys and visitors. It works great.

This weekend I will have a second RV, Class C with 30 amp connectivity actually, at our place and it will be a hot week. We would like to hook up both the Class C and my TT to the single 30amp receptacle.

I assume the purpose of a 30amp Y splitter is to run two RV's out of one outlet 30am receptacle? Anyone use these before?

Thanks for your insights and experiences.
2008 Jayco
25 REPLIES 25

dedmiston
Asked and answered.

The OP is finding a gen for his guest's second rig.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I SOLDER all my screw connections in cords. I use quality spec grade receptacles with FORKED 12 gauge x number 6 screw terminals soldered to my conductors. My oh my it's a miracle that troubles have decreased 99 percent ๐Ÿ™‚

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the converter/battery chargers in both trailer as they can draw a lot of juice too.
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
Especially higher draw outlets that have loosened up from high usage.
In my case it's usually the screw connection at the plug itself. Over time those loosen and heat up, or heat up and then loosen. Not sure. I just know better than to push it and run A/c and electric hot water at the same time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
mich800 wrote:
The circuit is protected by the breaker and everything downstream of that breaker should be rated for at least the tripped load.
The breaker might be, but that doesn't mean the connections are. I've burned up many 30a plugs on my 5er.

That is typically from poor connections. Especially higher draw outlets that have loosened up from high usage.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
ken56 wrote:
I had friends visit a few years back. They stayed in the yard and plugged into a 15 amp outlet approx. 50 feet away. I told them to be careful with their electrical usage because of it. Well, it got hot out enough they needed to use the air conditioner. After they left I noticed my outdoor portch light had stopped working so I took things apart and using that outlet with such heavy current draw melted the connections to the light enough to stop it working.

Even with a 30 amp outlet there will be very high current draw using 2 air conditioners and will likey melt some wires if not cause a fire. I was lucky as my outlet did not cause a fire but it was too close for comfort. Be very careful.

Sounds like an improperly set up circuit. The circuit is protected by the breaker and everything downstream of that breaker should be rated for at least the tripped load.

It was. I fixed it. New switch rewired properly and new GFCI outlet. They had passed the current for the outlet off the hot side of the old switch instead of a pigtail directly to the hot wire. Have since put in a dedicated 30 amp hookup.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Edd505 wrote:
I have run 2 15K A/C's off 30 amps. Start one and set is as low as it goes, let it stabilize and start the 2nd. My 15K draws 13 amps running x2 26 amps, I would try and keep all other 110V stuff off. If they want coffee or something run a regular extension cord in from another circuit.

And this is why it's common to see burnt up 30amp plugs.

30amps is a NOMINAL RATING. Some of this is to accommodate short term surges. Under continuous usage it's only rated for 24amps (80%).

Now if voltage is high and nothing else goes wrong, you might get away with 26amps but if the voltage sags (as it often does on busy hot weekends), you will find you are drawing more amps. If you are lucky, it will pop the breaker. If not, it will cook the plug.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have run 2 15K A/C's off 30 amps. Start one and set is as low as it goes, let it stabilize and start the 2nd. My 15K draws 13 amps running x2 26 amps, I would try and keep all other 110V stuff off. If they want coffee or something run a regular extension cord in from another circuit.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
You can add a Y adapter. But there's no way the two RV's will be able to run the AC at the same time.

They MIGHT work, if they don't start at the same time !

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
The circuit is protected by the breaker and everything downstream of that breaker should be rated for at least the tripped load.
The breaker might be, but that doesn't mean the connections are. I've burned up many 30a plugs on my 5er.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Galvinized wrote:
I tried the 20A outlet. But I have to use a 12ga 50' extension cord with an adaptor of course and it felt warm in the shade at the connection. That is my emergency backup plan to run it on a limited basis if I can't get a gennie. Thanks again.

Yeah a 50ft small extension cord plus the 25ft cord attached to the RV is an extra 75ft of voltage drop.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I had friends visit a few years back. They stayed in the yard and plugged into a 15 amp outlet approx. 50 feet away. I told them to be careful with their electrical usage because of it. Well, it got hot out enough they needed to use the air conditioner. After they left I noticed my outdoor portch light had stopped working so I took things apart and using that outlet with such heavy current draw melted the connections to the light enough to stop it working.

Even with a 30 amp outlet there will be very high current draw using 2 air conditioners and will likey melt some wires if not cause a fire. I was lucky as my outlet did not cause a fire but it was too close for comfort. Be very careful.

Sounds like an improperly set up circuit. The circuit is protected by the breaker and everything downstream of that breaker should be rated for at least the tripped load.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Might be cheaper to get a heavier cord, you can always use it, lol. Also, have them run fridge and other stuff on propane. No microwaves, or turn the air off first if they need power for that, cofee maker etc. Its doable, just be safe.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Galvinized wrote:
Thanks all. You helped confirmed what I thought. The 30amp on the barn is great for my travel trailer, but looks like we will have to borrow or buy a gennie for the second one this weekend. Better safe than sorry. Happy camping.
I would give it a go as is before spending money on a generator.
Possibly even pull a temporary second 30 amp circuit. If the conduit has space you just need to pull one hot for 30 amp split phase to feed both RVs with full power.