cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3d printers for making stuff for the RV

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I have fallen down the worm hole of 3d printing since Christmas, and was wondering if anyone else on here is playing with them.

If so, how you use them when it comes to RV's. I can see them being usefull for brackets, holders, even light bases , speaker adapters and so on, but what have people actualy done.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
127 REPLIES 127

GoodSamaritan
Explorer
Explorer
We 3D print anything we break.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I now have a flashforge Finder Lite I normally use Flashprint 5.x (from Flashforge) but Cura Utilmaker claims to work with it if I install the Flashforg option (Installed but nottested)

Also have a Creality Ender 3 Using both Creality Print and Cura Utilmaker I'm told several other sliers can .gcode it Both are printing as I type (Halloween stuff and other fun stuff).

They are a lot of fun

One thing you need to pay attention to however is the size.. Many Style files (.STL) I download from Thing-i-Verse or Printables (Both dot com) are too big for the Finder... So far most of 'em fit on the large but slower Ender.

For travel I think the Finder series might work better. They are a "Box" some are fully enclosed.. The Ender is an open frame job.. More likely to get damaged I suspect in transit if moving about once assembled.

That said I've only had to replace 3 parts on my finder so far (And it does not move about) (All my fault I might add).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
the lidar only works with their slicer... I wish them luck. I don't have a need for another printer at this point.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
LittleBill wrote:
yea i saw that came out. Everyone thinks the price point is actually too low. They don't feel its going to last long term, also everything including the slicer is closed source and cloud based. That alone would stop me from buying it, especially if they go under in a year etc....

I have spoke to the voron groups, those that own voron's and enders, and they themselves said the quality is not better, just faster. So I am going by what they said.

I have seen stuff come off voron's looks no different then mine. and my ender is pretty much stock.

Wish you luck on whatever path you choose. Voron's don't make ROI sense for me, when you can by 10 enders for 1 voron. If I was printing huge stuff all the time I would, I actually considered a 0.1 vs a 2.4 since most of my stuff fits in that build size.

ya I have seen **** off a voron also, the problem with voron is you make it your self so there isno quality controle. so cheep parts instead of deicent ones, half assed care when assembling it and so on will give you stock ender or worse quality. but I have seen properly asembled ones printing at 150mm with a tone of aceleration that blow my enders out of the water in quality and 1/10th of the time. as for the Carbon aparently you only have to hook it to the web once and a while for updates other than that you can use a memory card for your prints, and it will print stuff from other slicers. but the Voron groups are already talking about how they can incorperate the lidar into there builds haha
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
ASA print below
That's some nice work. My Prusa wouldn't print any better than that unless it was set at 0.15 with a 0.25 nozzle. That'll slow ya down.

thats was a .4 at .16 layer

Explorer II
Explorer II
ASA print below
That's some nice work. My Prusa wouldn't print any better than that unless it was set at 0.15 with a 0.25 nozzle. That'll slow ya down.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
yea i saw that came out. Everyone thinks the price point is actually too low. They don't feel its going to last long term, also everything including the slicer is closed source and cloud based. That alone would stop me from buying it, especially if they go under in a year etc....

I have spoke to the voron groups, those that own voron's and enders, and they themselves said the quality is not better, just faster. So I am going by what they said.

I have seen stuff come off voron's looks no different then mine. and my ender is pretty much stock.

Wish you luck on whatever path you choose. Voron's don't make ROI sense for me, when you can by 10 enders for 1 voron. If I was printing huge stuff all the time I would, I actually considered a 0.1 vs a 2.4 since most of my stuff fits in that build size.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
LittleBill wrote:
2112 wrote:
Ha, I didn't recognize where that was.

I don't know what we would buy if we were in the market today. There is a lot more available on the market today and the technology has grown since I was shopping around in 2015. I see it as a tool, DW sees it as a hobby toy, so it would come down to whatever she says. I'll keep my Prusa and she can have the new toy. I think this Prusa will last me a long time.

I saw Ender has a small flexible enclosure for $60. That's not a had deal if it works

Prusa's, are still considered the best option for an out of the box experience, and after talking to voron people, the voron's don't print better then the ender's just faster.

I only got a second printer, because I started selling, and stuff comes in waves.

I am not going to complain about the Ender, my original is rolling up on 1500 hours, and I don't even watch the first layer anymore, turn it on go to bed, get part in the morning etc. and print quality is not really going to be beat, at least not from what I have seen from other printers. ASA print below, no enclosure.

https://bambulab.com/ this is the one to watch now. its a kickstarter so I dont know if I would send the money to back it, but rumor is it is ready to ship this summer, so not a normal kickstarter.

as for a ender printing as good as a Voron, only with a bunch of upgrades.. out of the box they print good, but the voron with out any tuning can print just as good but 10 times faster, with tuning the quality goes up also. I was just getting ready to order my voron parts, then this Bambu labs unit came out.. now I waiting to see if they have plans for one with a bigger bed.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:

I don't know what we would buy if we were in the market today. There is a lot more available on the market today and the technology has grown since I was shopping around in 2015. I see it as a tool, DW sees it as a hobby toy, so it would come down to whatever she says. I'll keep my Prusa and she can have the new toy. I think this Prusa will last me a long time.

I saw Ender has a small flexible enclosure for $60. That's not a had deal if it works

Prusa's, are still considered the best option for an out of the box experience, and after talking to voron people, the voron's don't print better then the ender's just faster.

I only got a second printer, because I started selling, and stuff comes in waves.

I am not going to complain about the Ender, my original is rolling up on 1500 hours, and I don't even watch the first layer anymore, turn it on go to bed, get part in the morning etc. and print quality is not really going to be beat, at least not from what I have seen from other printers. ASA print below, no enclosure.

Explorer II
Explorer II

Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Man,I like your counter top. Did you make that?

Did you get another Ender?

No, Thats the factory bottom for the overcab, with all the cushioning removed.

I picked up another e3v2. I was strongly looking at doing a voron, but the ROI doesn't pencil out for me.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Man,I like your counter top. Did you make that?

Did you get another Ender?
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
been doing some 3d stuff, nothing hugely worth noting, did make some boxes to cover conduit to deal with a wiring issue in my rv, terrible photo, all the white squares and corner piece are 3d printed.

picked up another printer as well, but nothing interesting there. Mostly trying to get ASA printing to be reliable,(tried a g10 print bed, failed) and I think I got there today, will see soon.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Hasn't been much 3D talk so I thought I'll post this just to keep this thread alive:

We were out of town the past 5 days running around in the Texas heat. I realized this morning I left my water pale out in the 100+ degrees sun.

I went to use it and the spout went to pieces

After resuscitating my vegetation with some H2O I pulled out my calipers and scratch pad and got to work.

Within 4 hours I had this.
PETG 233C, 0.3mm w/0.4 nozzle, 2 layers

Faster than Amazon Prime, cheaper than driving to Lowe's for a new one and a whole lot more fun
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857