cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A chair that lasts?

JohnRN
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for a reclining/lounge camping chair that lasts more than a season or two? Have tried most of those sold through CW. And no, my wife and I are of average height/weight. Those with the bungee type cords along the edge seem to break either on the cord or the "hooks" holding the cord. Thanks
John & Susan
Wilmington, DE
2003 Coach House Platinum 270XL

4 REPLIES 4

JohnRN
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
JohnRN wrote:
my wife and I are of average height/weight.
Average for an RVer? ๐Ÿ™‚

Probably below average but so good looking!
John & Susan
Wilmington, DE
2003 Coach House Platinum 270XL

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have director's chairs (wood) I've been using since 1967, on their third set of fabric inserts (seat wears out, back tends to stretch). My wood frame, canvas seat camp stool has lasted about 15 years now on original fabric.

I used to get 15-20 years out of aluminum frame lawn chairs with webbing replacements every few years, before someone heavy trying to rock the chair breaks the frame. Since the 80's they started using plastic in structural parts like the arms, cuts life to about 5-10 years. Now they are all steel frame, square tubing, and even the metal parts are now fragile.

I've picked up an aluminum frame director's chair, but there is so much plastic in the joints I'm guessing the frame is going to fail before the fabric wears out.

I've seen some well made outdoor furniture, hardwood frames and adequately sized galvanized hardware, at craft shows. it is not as cheap as the metal and plastic stuff in the discount stores and camping and sporting goods outlets. The lounge chairs are much like the deck chairs they used on ships the past 100 years, before going to disposable molded plastics.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
JohnRN wrote:
my wife and I are of average height/weight.
Average for an RVer? ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
This hold up well, won't break, stow flat and are comfy....

Plans to build them

Otherwise......Faulkner Camp Chairs. Strong, well made. We have two that got used every week for past 3 yrs. I'm 285# and I haven't broke one yet. Not cheap!

Faulkner Camp Furniture
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31