cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC fan will not start

StephenandRobbi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Duo Therm AC model 57912. When the unit is turned on the fan will not start. It will run if you give it a turn by hand. I replaced the start capacitor and it did not help. I don't see any reason to suspect the run capacitor so I'm leaning towards replacing the motor. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
Stephen
Robbin
10 REPLIES 10

StephenandRobbi
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, everyone who voted for the run capacitor, you are correct. I replaced it today and the AC seems to run fine. Thanks again for all the help.

Steve
Stephen
Robbin

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Just replace the run capacitor and it will be fine. FWIW, I have only found a motor with electrical problems once , and that was due to being hooked up incorrectly. Every other motor I have ever replaced has been due to bad bearings (and I have replaced a bunch).
-- Chris Bryant

StephenandRobbi
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I believe there is only one fan.
Stephen
Robbin

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
prolandsurveyor wrote:
Are u talking about the blower motor? The motor that blows air inside the camper? Or the condenser fan motor that blows air on the top of your camper?

On a RV air conditioner, the same dual shaft motor operates both the evaporator and condenser fan.

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Are u talking about the blower motor? The motor that blows air inside the camper? Or the condenser fan motor that blows air on the top of your camper?
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

StephenandRobbi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
There are only 2 capacitors in the system. A run and a start. Since it would run once started I assumed the run capacitor was good. It will run in either direction though. So I guess the best rout is to replace the run capacitor and then the motor?

Steve
Stephen
Robbin

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
The start capacitor has nothing to do with the fan. If it spins freely, replace the fan capacitor. (You can double check and try spinning it backwards- if it runs backwards, the fan capacitor is definitely bad)

X2 on this.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Every last one I have ever torn down with those symptoms had a burned coil or two in the stator. Time to grit your teeth. Low voltage is a usual suspect.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The start capacitor has nothing to do with the fan. If it spins freely, replace the fan capacitor. (You can double check and try spinning it backwards- if it runs backwards, the fan capacitor is definitely bad)
-- Chris Bryant

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If there is a setting for running the fan constantly use it.

Some folks have tried to oil the (probably sealed) bearings.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.