cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC motor fan

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
A few days ago the fan on front AC didn't want to go..I went on top and gave it help and it has worked fairly well until about 5 AM today..Fan motor stopped and compressor kept going..so I turned it off.....After a few minutes I turned it back on and it fired right off...for about 20 minutes! It will come on now and run for a while and the fan shuts off. I am thinking I need to replace the motor..Doesn't look like too difficult of a job. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,Terry.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
12 REPLIES 12

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Some units have a single cap that is both Start AND RUn but there is always a Start Cap. or so says ELI the ICE man.. if you know who that is. or rather what that is. you know WHY there is always a cap.. Sometimes there are 2 of 'em.

Do you mean to say there is always a run capacitor and sometimes a start capacitor for the compressor? I believe this is correct.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some units have a single cap that is both Start AND RUn but there is always a Start Cap. or so says ELI the ICE man.. if you know who that is. or rather what that is. you know WHY there is always a cap.. Sometimes there are 2 of 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
check Amazon
Jay D.

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a Dometic BRisk Air 2
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

BMCM
Explorer
Explorer
PPL Motorhomes is showing a start/run capacitor for Coleman AC's, $25 until 9-21-18, plus $10
shipping.
Guessing it's not Coleman specific?
F-350, Scorpion, QC, Dually/Alpenleak

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.

BMCM
Explorer
Explorer
In my Coleman Mach III (RVP), there is a start AND run capacitor.
AC stopped working 2 days ago. At the point I am going to try the
capacitor(s) first, if I can find them.
F-350, Scorpion, QC, Dually/Alpenleak

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the motor is starting then the capacitor is OK. The capacitor is only needed to start the motor. When it runs for a while then slows down sounds more like a bearing issue.

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Are the capacitors mainly for starting? It will now start and run for a while and then slow down and quit..Thanks for the replies.Can someone give me some guidance on which capacitor to pick up.?
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Lube the motor, assuming it's never been done. Too many times, this basic maintenance gets missed.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Larry I like your tag line.

I too woudl do the Cap's (Start if you have one and run capacitors) first. THEN if it is still a problem the motor.. Only in my case I might do the motor first since I carry a spare.. But.. not everyone has one (I have 2) of those ๐Ÿ™‚

NOTE this has worked out well in the past for others. Had a man with a cracked blower assembly... Not much chance of getting a new one for like 3 days.. Except I had a spare :).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just changed the fan motor on mine. Took about an hour.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Change the capacitors first, that's likely the problem and much cheaper and easier.