cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC or generator???

MickD
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Duo-Therm 600 series air conditioner that runs fine on shore power but when I try to run in off the gen it kills the generator. Should I look at the AC? Like the start capacitor. Or look at the Generator?

Thanks for any help.
23 REPLIES 23

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
It's been about 4 days without a reply so I guess you resolved the issue?
Did you switch the water heater off of electric? ๐Ÿ™‚
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
MickD wrote:
dan-nickie wrote:
Turn your water heater off.
Or switch it to propane.

WHAT??? What makes you think I have my water heater on? DUH!

Are you sure you don't have it on electric? ๐Ÿ™‚
Dan and Nickie

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Have you gone up top and checked out the wiring and capacitors? Have you tried cleaning the condenser and evaporator coils? Have you cleaned the air filters? Best to rule out the basics before opening up the wallet.

Edit - that's the hard start capacitor that I purchased for my older Coleman 13.5 air conditioner. Worked fine, simple install, and helped.
Kevin

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.

I used to start an unloaded single phase (of course) 5-HP 240 volt motor with a 5500 Yamahahahahaha diesel generator.

MickD
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Regardless, install a "hard start" capacitor kit. To me, they are not an option. It's a must. If if fixes things great. If low voltage damaged the AC or genny it won't happen again once things are fixed with a bigger cap. This is the most logical path to take.

Wil this one work?click

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless, install a "hard start" capacitor kit. To me, they are not an option. It's a must. If if fixes things great. If low voltage damaged the AC or genny it won't happen again once things are fixed with a bigger cap. This is the most logical path to take.

MickD
Explorer
Explorer
The gen runs fine with a 1500w electric heater on and the water heater on at the same time. Everything runs good with shore power an doesn't trip a 15 amp circuit breaker. With everything else turned off and gen running ac will kill gen when turned on.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
How old are the batteries?? Are they fully charged?? I would turn every breaker off except the A/C, if it still kills the generator, you can suspect the A/C
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Plug in an electric heater and run the microwave. If the genny powers that then the issue is in the air conditioner.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
MickD wrote:
dan-nickie wrote:
Or switch it to propane.

Mick. This does not encourage help. There is no way we know your experience and what a "Duh" moment is. There are bound to be a number of what you think are "Duh" questions because to help we need to know a baseline.

Do you have or have you added an electric water heater element? If you have one, is the WH set to LP? Have you turned off the converter? Is all 110v eaters turned off? Have you added any power cords? Have you looked at them to see if they are burnt or melted?

abideejay
Explorer
Explorer
MickD wrote:
I have a Duo-Therm 600 series air conditioner that runs fine on shore power but when I try to run in off the gen it kills the generator. Should I look at the AC? Like the start capacitor. Or look at the Generator?

Thanks for any help.

It sounds like (obviously) something has changed. I would suspect a weak start capacitor. A/C units are relatively simple. You have a compressor (the largest amp draw) and a fan motor(s). When those motors start, they can draw substantially more current than they do when they are running. The reason it works well on shore power is because there is a lot more available power for the inrush current. You are only limited by the circuit breaker, and circuit breakers are designed to allow a certain percentage of overload for a short period of time. The generator is also limited by a circuit breaker, but it is also limited by the overall horsepower of the engine. When you exceed that horsepower, the engine shuts down (stalls). The more current you pull on the generator, the harder the engine works.

Hopefully that helps.

MickD
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:
Or switch it to propane.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Or switch it to propane.
Dan and Nickie

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
poncho62 wrote:
How much power does the A/C draw in watts?

Did it work with that generator before?

A 2800 watt generator is not very big

I have an Onan Microlite 2500 LP and it runs the 13.5K AC with the converter on with absolutely no issues.

I don't think underpower is the issue.

Is it gasoline I assume?
Need to check the air cond power draw.