cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC prepped?

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
What does that really mean? I just bought a new 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel and it's equipped with a single 15,000 AC unit in the rear living area. I'm considering putting in a second unit in the forward master bedroom. I found some paperwork that says the trailer is "AC prepped" for a second unit. What do you suppose that really means? Is it simply pre-wired for a second AC, or is it tied into the duct system? (doubt that), or what? I'm a pretty handy guy, so I thought I would install it myself rather than pay $150+ per hour for the dealer to do it.
Also, what should I buy? Brand? 13,500 oe 15,000?
9 REPLIES 9

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
or is it tied into the duct system?

IF....the existing unit is DUCTED, why do you need a second one ??

This was a serious question and I think it bears repeating.
You are considering spending a large sum of money here and a lot of time and effort.

WHY ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IBcarguy wrote:
Thanks Doug, sounds like you've been down this road before.

I work for a Jayco Dealer/Service Center(20 years as a Jayco dealer and 38 years as a Tech). Doug

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug, sounds like you've been down this road before.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco runs the 120 wire to that roof vent area. They also have a knock out to connect to the existing ducting. Depending on the model, they may have the tstat cable run from that vent to a common wall area, but you have to call Jayco for the exact location for your model. You will see the wiring if you remove the 4 screws for the inside vent Garnish. You will have to connect the 120 wire to the 20 amp breaker in the main breaker box. The wire is usually just bundled up behind the breaker box. You pull the breaker box to find it and route it into the breakers. Doug

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
That makes sense. I'll call my dealer tomorrow.

MrWizard
Moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
or is it tied into the duct system?

IF....the existing unit is DUCTED, why do you need a second one ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
. Give Jayco customer service or your dealer a call and ask.

Rob

it varies, good advice here.
bumpy

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about Jayco Eagles, but with Grand Design fifth wheels, it means that there is power for the AC and controls, wiring going down to the bedroom wall for the thermostat, and the mounting location is tied into the racetrack ducting in the ceiling the same as the main unit in the living area. Give Jayco customer service or your dealer a call and ask.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015