cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

After market carburetor

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 05 Class C and have had it for 12 years. We only needed the generator 3 or 4 times and even though I exercised it regularly, it seems to have gunked up. I noticed a lot of after market carburetors available. I can't see spending $350 to $500 for an OEM for the few times we use the generator. These after market ones have more good reviews than bad, and even from mechanics who have installed them. Has anyone on here ever tried one of those after market ones?
8 REPLIES 8

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one off eBay for my Onan 4000. About $40 and it works perfect, way easier than doing the clean. I keep the one Onan carb though.
I never use amazon site bc they are the devil, but eBay has everything, and any online store or site will probably be the same stuff.

Agree with all about ethanol gas, ethanol is the devil too.
Run the last minutes off 100% gas or at least use a fuel stabilizer in the ethanol gas, and always leave carb empty for storage. You can starve the running gen of gas and that will get enough out typically, or you can drain the carb somehow after engine cools off.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Without high pressure air and a rubber tipped sprayer the effectiveness of using carburetor cleaner is severely degraded.

Old-fashioned carburetor dip (the kind you did not touch with bare flesh) at 110F and a 2-day soak

Followed by compressed air at 120 PSI

Finished by a near boiling hot water rinse

was the only way I could repair Carter Thermo Quad carburetors.

Acidic dip is probably banned today.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
well for the price I would consider giving it a try. I have done a few on other type motors and all have been a success.

Lots of quick echoes on "chinese junk" when more than likely some of the stuff they run is the same to start with.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikhen wrote:
We have an 05 Class C and have had it for 12 years. We only needed the generator 3 or 4 times and even though I exercised it regularly, it seems to have gunked up. I noticed a lot of after market carburetors available. I can't see spending $350 to $500 for an OEM for the few times we use the generator. These after market ones have more good reviews than bad, and even from mechanics who have installed them. Has anyone on here ever tried one of those after market ones?

I have used aftermarket carbs on small engines like B&S, Tecumseh with good success. As long as it fits and you do not have to modify throttle or choke linkages I don't see the harm in trying a aftermarket carb.

I would however recommend you either drain the fuel bowl, install a shut off valve or add a disable switch to the gen fuel pump and let the gen run the fuel bowl dry before storing. That will go a long, long way to preventing issues with most carbs when stored for long periods of time.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Open the carburetor and clean it out, only replace if you find that it is corroded beyond repair. I have read a number of horror stories about the cheap, junk Chinese carburetors on a tractor forum.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is gas with alcohol in it! It can deteriorate in as little as 30 days. Work around are separate tank for gen and only use ethanol free gas, LP generator, only use ethanol free gas in RV. Ethanol free gas does deteriorate after some months.

I use a portable genset, when traveling will use any gas available but last tank is always ethanol free and before letting sit for more than a couple weeks run genset dry and drain the tank. A pain but better than rebuilding carb.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you might be able to save this carb, buy some sea foam and do a clean out. don,t even take carb apart. if it works? install a shut off valve and run dry after use. also put sea foam in your rv fuel tank. on boat motors this has worked good for me.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Though I've not tried them, may I suggest in the future, try using non-ethonal fuel and fuel stabilizer for your generator. The non-ethonal fuel (pure gasoline) is more expensive, but does not break down over time....well, it takes a lot longer. Ethonal fuel, over time, can mold and does not do well sitting. That's been my experience....just my 2 cents since I've had similar issues in small engines from the wrong fuel.