cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New type of lead acid battery: with silicone wafers

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not competent to evaluate the merits of this new product, but it is thought-provoking:

Manufacturer's website

I don't know if they are already working on a battery suitable for RVs, but they claim that the device is "scalable." Does that mean both up and down the scale?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
14 REPLIES 14

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"What?
Can't see their feet?"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Silicone, on the other hand, is the rubbery stuff used as a sealant or for flexible spatulas and bowl scrapers.
Silicone valley is just down the street from silicon valley.
:B
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, Love your latest sage analogy Sir, keep โ€˜em coming !!

3 tons

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's the

EAT MORE

EAT RICHER

WEIGH LESS

EAT LESS OFTEN

Ambiguities that counter common sense.

Plates encompassed by razor-thin permeable silicon separators would allow tighter packing meaning more plate material meaning higher energy density. Less material can produce higher energy when surface area is increased -- at the cost of longevity.

Stuff like this reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger straining to pulley pull the immense log up into the air via pulley in The Terminator.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Silicone, on the other hand, is the rubbery stuff used as a sealant or for flexible spatulas and bowl scrapers.
Silicone valley is just down the street from silicon valley.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to be clear, they're talking about silicon wafers, not silicone wafers. The chemicals have vastly different properties, despite their names only differing with a final letter e. A crystal of silicon forms the substrate that solar cells and computer chips are made on; it is a stiff and brittle material. Silicone, on the other hand, is the rubbery stuff used as a sealant or for flexible spatulas and bowl scrapers.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I went to the webpage, very stark with actual infomation, and in most of there upmost basice comparasons they fit inbetween normal AGM batteries and LI (they don't say what kind of Li though) would have been nice to see some actualy numbers but the only numbers they put out was for a very low capacity 6V battery.

would be interesting to see some actual info but maybe its just to new. there should be several new types of batterys in the near future as everyone is racing to come up with the newest and greatest batter you power all the electric cars we will all be buying.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Ha! 3 tons gets in a shot against PT for revealing his politics! ๐Ÿ™‚ (which I do not share, but means nothing on this forum)

Meanwhile 3 tons, having bought into LFP, is "more Catholic than the pope" on that topic, so we adjust accordingly.

BTW "attacking" false LFP advertising is not attacking LFPs. Big difference!

LFPs have their place in the spectrum, but are not for everyone. Saying that, or calling out false advertising, does not mean you should be burned at the stake.

Huh??.... Most folks who are informed here in the lower 48 are quite aware of Albertaโ€™s sizable contribution to our northern neighborโ€™s treasury (no secret about this) and with a boon of Lithium ahead their future, I would think that this attribute is something for all Canadians and the entire World to embrace - we need your Lithium!!

For the record, my view is that Canada is a Great beautiful neighbor that America is most fortunate to have, this in far more ways than just trade...

FWIW, Iโ€™ll always support attacks on false advertising, in fact this is why Iโ€™ve repeatedly asked for independent white papers!! Nor have I ever even ONCE claimed that LFPโ€™s are for everyone, but if I must Iโ€™ll again restate because they are NOT.... BTW, no need to โ€˜imputeโ€™ (e.g. guess) the positions, politics, religiosity or motives of others...My PM is always available, even for touchy hot-topic questions, though my responses may be limited to a simple Yes or a No - lol

3 tons

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ha! 3 tons gets in a shot against PT for revealing his politics! ๐Ÿ™‚ (which I do not share, but means nothing on this forum)

Meanwhile 3 tons, having bought into LFP, is "more Catholic than the pope" on that topic, so we adjust accordingly.

BTW "attacking" false LFP advertising is not attacking LFPs. Big difference!

LFPs have their place in the spectrum, but are not for everyone. Saying that, or calling out false advertising, does not mean you should be burned at the stake (especially for the "enhanced" version where they used wet wood if they really didn't like you!)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the worldโ€™s Lithium supply is not infinite, though they seem to be developing another big Li mine in Canadaโ€™s wealth production region of Alberta...

3 tons

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Varney died in White House Tn.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like they are plating the lead over a light weight plastic substrate. Seams like it would be cheaper to mfg and lighter. Didn't Jim Varney die after he went to Washington?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally "Scalable" means up but can also mean down.

If this works and is not a whole lot more expensive it may put traditional lead acid out to pasture (It won't put the companies out of business because I suspect it can be made on the same machines) If you can pack say 85 AH into say half the weight I might pick up a few feet per gallon on the old MPG chart.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Coated silicone solar wafers? Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers. Less lead means more CCA and cycles.

A Jim Varney interlude