cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner Not coming on

Keith_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
While camping last weekend we noticed that our Duotherm/Dometic AC would only come on when the thermostat was pushed above 85 and would shut off below that. It was operating like an on/off switch. We got by just by running it for 15-20 minutes to cool the 5ver down and then shut it off for an hour or two. I thought this was a sign of the garbage thermostat going bad, and so opted for a non-programmable Hunter from Lowes. I believe I have it wired correctly. I can get heat and fan to work, but no AC. I have the ground (black wire) run to Rc (with a jumper to Rh), the heat (white wire)to W, the high and low fan wires (blue and orange) are both ran to G on the Hunter (just trying the blue, high fan wire would not make the fan run), and the AC compressor (yellow wire) to Y on the hunter.

I can jumper across from the fan to the ground and the compressor to the ground and get the AC to kick on, but the thermostat will not activate it. I tried to rung the high speed fan and AC compressor together on the Y terminal, but had no change.

I don't even hear the thermostat click on in AC mode, but I do in heat mode. All wire connections look tight on the inside of the AC unit.

Do you think I have a different problem with the AC, or do I still not have it wired correctly?
Lost...But making good time.
2000 Ford F-250 V-10 4X4 CC, 1998 Sprinter 265RK
3 REPLIES 3

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good on YOU! And thanks for the update. I'd've thought it was miswired and gone crazy after it. We installed a LUX electronic T'Stat at home and it has that delay also. A good idea, but vexing if you forget (or don't know) it's there.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Keith_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Called Hunter. Turns out that the thermostat has a built in delay, up to 4 minutes, to protect the AC compressor. I timed it and it seems to be about 2 minutes, but it does work.

Keith_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this is crazy. I finished my original post, went outside to put my car in the barn for the night, and as I approached the barn, I hear my AC running!! Not sure what is going on. I left it alone for about 2 hours while my wife and I were working on our budget. Now it works perfectly. Cycles on and off correctly. Not sure if the good Lord knew I was at my wits end (especially after working on our budget) and granted us a miracle, or if I just don't understand thermostats, either way, I'm thankful for the blessings in my life.