cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aliner blowing fuse

airlifter
Explorer
Explorer
When we try to tow our 2003 Aliner with the refrigerator on 12 volts it blows the 20 amp fuse in the electrical panel. The owners manual only shows 4 fuses in the panel and one in the battery box. The panel in our trailer has 5 fuses. The wiring diagram in the owners manual is just about worthless for troubleshooting. I do have 12 volts at the trailer connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Pete
7 REPLIES 7

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Brand and model of converter/power panel? Fuse number on panel? Give us something to work with. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

red31
Explorer
Explorer
airlifter , time to label each fuse in your power center!

ye ole power center manuals are available showing which is rev prot and batt charge ... The 12v heater for the fridge should unplug and can be tested with a ohm meter and/or replaced, ye ole fridge manuals are also lurking on the web.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please post the Make and Model of your Refrigerator.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

airlifter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I hope to get to check it out further next week. I am going to make sure the battery is fully charged and have it load tested.

I will also check out the wiring.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you are trying to run the refer on 12 volts DC, the element in the refer stack could be grounding out.
Locate the 12 volt supply to the refer and the wires going to the element. Disconnect the element wires and see if problem goes away.
Elements get grounded where the wires pass through the sheet metal.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Moved from Forum Technical Support

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would most definitely check your on-borad trailer battery... If it is requiring alot of charge for one reason or another if may be wanting to see alot of DC current... Check the fluid levels and the VDC level... If fully charger it will show 12.6-7 VDC... If it has a shorted cell and only reading 5-6VDC across the terminals then when you hook up it may want to draw alot of current from the truck side enough to blow a fuse...

Does your ceiling lights woprk ok when you are just using your battery

My 2008 popup trailer came with those type of converter/charger unit and that was one of the first things I replaced with a modern converter/charger unit with many circuit breakers and ATC fuses positions... Now everything in my 12VDC Distribution has its own fuse....

Its going to be hard to figure what is doing the short for you when four or five 12VDC circuits are beiing under one larg fuse...

All of my three or four 12VDC zones behind the converter box was twisted together under one of those large YELLOW twist lock connectors... If you can track down which group of iwisted together cables that gets fed by that 20AMPS fuse you can un-twist the yellow connecot and hopefully figure out which is draining the big current...

Will take some digging around for sure...

A clamp around DC CURRENT meter would be a great tool to use for this searching...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS