cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternator for a 400 Cummins

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Had problems on last trip with check engine light coming on ! had an appointment to have it scanned and code for faulty alternator came up.Said they would order one and to bring it back next week. Was wondering what one cost? They said it was an 8 hour job which i found to be extremely high. When I got home, looked at the alternator and was a clean shot to get out and 4 bolts holding it on. Am i missing something here ??
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰
10 REPLIES 10

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up taking the coach to a friend who owns an airplane parts place and alternator rebuilding service. Once they got it off and was diagnosing for a rebuild we discovered the guts were terminally rusted and would be better to buy a new or factory rebuild.( Coach lived in Michigan for the first 4 years) So we contacted Leece Neville and they sent us a new one the next day. Thanks for the replies !
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A SERIOUS big rig repair shop, such as Kenworh or Peterbilt authorized dealers usually have really good prices on new or reman stuff.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Car parts stores would shriek if you should thud one of these puppies on the counter. Like taking an 1100X24.5 tire down to the gas station for a patch

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am with ivy on the icon. When my last alternator shot craps the symbol/icon on the dash was a battery.

Anyway, I don't run a DP, but when I need an alternator I go to ORilleys and get a rebuilt one. You can get one with a life time warranty. I never got to cash in on the warranty though.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Leece Neville, Prestolite, Motorola Load Handler, all the same company different divisions.

If you decide to get it rebuilt tell them UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES use a rewired stator or rotor. Only use BRAND NEW stuff. Fifty Amp 200 volt PIV rectifiers. Transpo used to make some good regulators, now everything comes with soy sauce.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Yes run fast before they get you completely bent over. Any good alternator shop can rebuild that for you. The Leece Neville parts all come from Cincinnati so you shouldn't be down more than a couple of days. Easy fix. ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run, you are being had with a side radiator DP. I would be ashamed if I could not get it out in less than an hour which includes a coffee break while finding the right tools. There is no reason to replace it as it can be rebuilt. I'm not sure but I question that it would show up as a check engine as it has it's own light (looks like a battery) on the dash that lights up when it's not putting out enough voltage.
There are plenty of starter/alternator repair places in LOUISVILLE KY.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Take an image of the alternator and post it here in the forum. The rear side makes for the best visual ID. It should have a plate on it somewhere unless it is a Delco 21SI. If this is an 855 series 400 the alternator will be mounted starboard side of the engine (opposite the PT fuel pump) and be level with the top of the frame rail.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the price of the alt to make sure they don't screw you there too.