cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any simple portable solar panel stand/bracket ideas?

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked through many of the solar threads but most all show mounting them on the roof.
I just ordered a 100w panel, 20A controller, remote monitor, extra cable and connectors and z brackets from Solar Blvd. but wish to keep the panel portable at least for now. I may add a second panel in the future but want to see how the singe panel works first, its usually just me in the toyhauler on archery hunting trips and I don't use much power and even so I could always start the Onan generator and use the PD 4655 converter w/ charge wizard to top things up if needed.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
19 REPLIES 19

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
First, Toms set up gets my vote for the niftiest set up.

The OP could always add to the HF unit to make it handle the extra size. It's a simple design that he could just pick up the scraps, cut them and bolt his own together, for short term wood would be fine.

Since everyone is throwing pictures around hehehe

The reason I like the slats and clamps besides that it is cheap and easy is speed. When I saw the HF stand my first thought was that I'd have to remove and put back 4 bolt/ nut sets just to adjust it. When I need to adjust for tilt, I tilt the panel forward a bit. push or pull the slats to where I need them and set the panel back down to its new position. It can go from near vertical (early morning) to near flat ( noon) in seconds. When the winds hit, I can tilt the top, kick the slats flush with the frame and lay it flat in seconds.

I could clean it up with metal legs and quick tightening bolts/ knobs like used on a folding lawn mower handles. A little nicer looking with the same results.

And in a pinch, you have emergency kindling for getting your campfire going. Just cut two new wood slats when you get back home to replace the ones you started the fire with. This has to be the simplest way to do it.

Ed

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Please post pictures when you get it all figured out.

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will run over to HF and pick up two of the bracket sets. I can bolt two together for extra length or height or use some of the angle in place of the strap which looks a little thin in the pics. I can use wingnuts and drill a few extra holes for adjustability too. At $8 a set its cheaper than the aluminum angle would be at the hardware or metal supply yard. If they don't have them I will do the wood and C clamp method, I already have both around the house!

My problem with mounting them on the roof is we try to camp in shaded spots when possible which would defeat the purpose of solar. By staying portal I can set it out and move it a couple times a day as needed. Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
First, Toms set up gets my vote for the niftiest set up.

The OP could always add to the HF unit to make it handle the extra size. It's a simple design that he could just pick up the scraps, cut them and bolt his own together, for short term wood would be fine.

Since everyone is throwing pictures around hehehe

The reason I like the slats and clamps besides that it is cheap and easy is speed. When I saw the HF stand my first thought was that I'd have to remove and put back 4 bolt/ nut sets just to adjust it. When I need to adjust for tilt, I tilt the panel forward a bit. push or pull the slats to where I need them and set the panel back down to its new position. It can go from near vertical (early morning) to near flat ( noon) in seconds. When the winds hit, I can tilt the top, kick the slats flush with the frame and lay it flat in seconds.

I could clean it up with metal legs and quick tightening bolts/ knobs like used on a folding lawn mower handles. A little nicer looking with the same results.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I opted for a semi-portable setup. I mounted my panels on the side of my coach. They can be tilted while still mounted or removed and set out in the sun and connect them using an extension cable. I just set them on the ground and prop them up with a small rod. I have been doing this for over three years and have had no problems.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

westend
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
You may have to add to that HF holder, it is intended for a 15w panel.
Yeah, Jim, the longest leg length is 20 1/2" and, I dunno' if that would allow enough length to support the module without a tip-over hazard. For a portable tilt mechanism, the design is OK.

If the OP was thinking of using a module as portable and, later, installing it, it may be better to just a build a good one out of aluminum, initially. I think many of the big box stores sell enough different aluminum profiles to get the job done. I buy most metal at Discount Steel, they have a yard close to me. I buy some aluminum by the pound from their fabrication shop, off-cuts from building their customer projects.

Here's my four-way tilter for project ideas:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to mount it. You will be happy with it, and it will make up for the loss caused by the CO meter, propane meter and the 0.7 amps that the refrigerator uses. This all adds up to about 35 amp hours per day, about what one of my 120 watt solar panels make in one day.

So yes you will still need to run the generator a bit, but not as much. If you are only going for 3 nights, you probably will not need it at all, unless you are using the furnace or inverter.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the shop or tools to fab something like that rj, but it sure looks like it'll do the trick.

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
Nice but a little more than I need for a 5 day hunting trip.
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Just another shot of the polar mount that will track any arc, and any time of the year.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to add to that HF holder, it is intended for a 15w panel.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
You need a polar mount from a C-Band satellite dish to track the sun's arc.
I built my own, starting w/ an old swivel caster wheel, adapted it to a liteweight angle iron frame that holds 2 100 watt panels. The base is mounted on my trailer hitch receiver. If I wanted a ground base, I'd bolt it to a 4ft pc of 2 x 12, and drive up on top of it
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
westend that may be the answer for now. It will at least get me started as I have a huting trip January 9th and will be my first use for the solar. I can always improve upon it if needed and there is a Harbor Freight 3 miles from my house, hopefully they have that item in the store. Never would have thought to look there.
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If this Harbor Freight is big enough, I know I couldn't make it for the price. Maybe give you some ideas, anyway.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton