Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

minimalist heating

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This is a clever variation on the flower pot heaters. My guess is about 1000 to 1500 btu's.

flower pot heater variation
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
21 REPLIES 21

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Gde,

Thanks for the link.

I've already gone far beyond bubble wrap by having four layer Insul-Bright fabric covers made for the windows, skylights, vents, and side door. The covers are large enough for the metal frames and are held in place by industrial velcro. I also had a "blanket" made of the same material to cut off the cab of my class c from the heated living space. In total I have covered 204 square feet. They are a layer of cloth, a layer of silver Mylar, a layer of batting and some fabric that looks well with the OEM fabric in my rv.

Doing so has dropped the heating requirements from 146 watts down to 76 watts per delta T degree.

Cost including fabric and materials was about $900.00.

I have also ordered magic carpet which is a nanotech based carbon fabric material for 75% of the floor space in the RV. It heats to 40 c (103 f) and produces 85 btu's per square foot. I chose to get the indoor outdoor version which can even be pressure washed to clean it up. I'll be getting about 750 watts of on the floor heating.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi mena,

I have no intent to use flower pot heaters. LOL I just posted it for interests sake.

I do know I need about 260 btu's per delta T degree above the ambient (76 watts). This represents a 75% improvement over the OEM design which required 343 watts per delta T degree.

I would consider foaming the floor of the RV which has 3 inches of pink fiberglass, but since it is a class C there are areas that should not be done. Heat from the drive train, and especially the catalytic converter scare the pants off me.

Try Bubble wrap on your windows, it will go a long way to reduce the heat loss without the need to add heat..

BUBBLE WRAP IDEA AT BUILD IT SOLAR

That is a top notch website devoted to energy conservation with a lot of great ideas that don't involve potentially fatal heating systems..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi mena,

I have no intent to use flower pot heaters. LOL I just posted it for interests sake.

I do know I need about 260 btu's per delta T degree above the ambient (76 watts). This represents a 75% improvement over the OEM design which required 343 watts per delta T degree.

I would consider foaming the floor of the RV which has 3 inches of pink fiberglass, but since it is a class C there are areas that should not be done. Heat from the drive train, and especially the catalytic converter scare the pants off me.
Regards, Don

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
R16, R11 and R11 in my MH. Vapor barrier is used also. Don't know what the windows are. It's an order of magnitude better than our "old" 5er though. Significant difference. You do make a very valid point about insulation and half assed heating techniques. Sorry PT.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
moonlightrunner wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
... there is no free lunch (or heat)...

Solar heat collectors come close. I mocked up Mother Earth News' Heat Grabber and it worked pretty good. I modified the Heat Grabber for Apartments to fit an RV window. Maybe over the summer I will build one that I can transport.

Solar AIR collectors only work during the day and provided there is not a lot of cloud cover. Doesn't help at all during NIGHT TIME when it is coldest. STRIKE ONE.

Solar WATER collectors can work during the night, PROVIDED you have enough collectors AND sufficient "storage medium" to store several days worth of collected heat. For a RV you most likely would need several HUNDRED GALLONS of liquid storage and an extremely well insulated tank and would want to use antifreeze so your system doesn't get damaged by freezing. You most likely would need to pump the liquids useing electricity in the process since gravity systems can be a bear to get working unless everything is perfectly level and plumb. Extremely heavy and bulky to make portable not to mention expensive even as DIY "project" you will easily spend several thousand in materials alone. STRIKE TWOOOO...

I personally think if you really want to camp in the winter time that you SHOULD be willing to spend some money on the heating portion and do so with the proper equipment instead of attempting to invent half baked ideas which have a very great possibility of buring down your RV or killing you with CO poisoning.

RVs do not have sufficient INSULATION, you have walls which are 1 1/2 inches thick often with 1" bat of fiberglass insulation, no vapor barrier. That insulation value is about R3, maybe R3.5 with high performance fiberglass (RV manufactures tend to use the cheaper lower cost fiberglass).

The roof is no better with 4 inches in the middle tapering down to 3/4" at the ends, average at best you might have R3 to R3.5 there.

The floor, well once again you have 1 1/2 space under the floor but instead of better higher performance of fiberglass they use low R polystyrene foam. For that space you are looking at R2-R3.

Most RVs use single pane windows which have less than R1 insulation and the doors and windows use aluminum frames with no thermal break. You have in effect ZERO R value there.

Put all the numbers together and your typical RV has a R value of 1-1.5 IF you are "lucky". A RV is nothing more than a "wind break".

My suggestion is instead of trying to create a bunch of half baked heating ideas perhaps try ADDING insulation, rework the windows and doors. These things will pay off big time.

Basically remove the outside skin and ROOF, FIR OUT the walls, add at least 1 1/2 inches to the walls and three inches to the roof. Then remove existing insulation and have professional spray foam sprayed into all the walls and ceiling. Then underside add firring under there and have it spray foamed.

Double pane windows and creating a thermal break for the doors and windows and now you have a RV that has the potential of R10-R15 and heating that will use considerable less energy to heat..

When I rebuilt my TT I used 1" Poly Iso (R7) and 1/4" (R of 1/2) foam (used under siding)and I can tell you this, turn off the heater and in several hrs the trailer is the same temp as the outside which is an improvement over the old R3 fiberglass which was less than 20 minutes...

Agree with most of your post.. I do think that SOME TTs may rate a little higher in R values .

I recently redid my underbelly to prevent plumbing freeze ups. I insulated all the fresh water lines and installed heat tape on them. I then used the 1" poly iso inside the frame rails and across the bottom of the underbelly... The heat tape not be needed with in most cases with this, but I don't want anymore issues.
Haven't cold weather tested it yet, but I have noticed that the AC is noticeably more effective in the summer.. I never thought about it, but I substantially raised the R value of the floor, and that is a large surface area that will let heat in as well as cold.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
moonlightrunner wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Solar heat collectors come close. I mocked up Mother Earth News' Heat Grabber and it worked pretty good. I modified the Heat Grabber for Apartments to fit an RV window. Maybe over the summer I will build one that I can transport.

Solar AIR collectors only work during the day and provided there is not a lot of cloud cover. Doesn't help at all during NIGHT TIME when it is coldest. STRIKE ONE.

Solar WATER collectors can work during the night, PROVIDED you have enough collectors AND sufficient "storage medium" to store several days worth of collected heat. For a RV you most likely would need several HUNDRED GALLONS of liquid storage and an extremely well insulated tank and would want to use antifreeze so your system doesn't get damaged by freezing. You most likely would need to pump the liquids useing electricity in the process since gravity systems can be a bear to get working unless everything is perfectly level and plumb. Extremely heavy and bulky to make portable not to mention expensive even as DIY "project" you will easily spend several thousand in materials alone. STRIKE TWOOOO...

I personally think if you really want to camp in the winter time that you SHOULD be willing to spend some money on the heating portion and do so with the proper equipment instead of attempting to invent half baked ideas which have a very great possibility of buring down your RV or killing you with CO poisoning.

RVs do not have sufficient INSULATION, you have walls which are 1 1/2 inches thick often with 1" bat of fiberglass insulation, no vapor barrier. That insulation value is about R3, maybe R3.5 with high performance fiberglass (RV manufactures tend to use the cheaper lower cost fiberglass).

The roof is no better with 4 inches in the middle tapering down to 3/4" at the ends, average at best you might have R3 to R3.5 there.

The floor, well once again you have 1 1/2 space under the floor but instead of better higher performance of fiberglass they use low R polystyrene foam. For that space you are looking at R2-R3.

Most RVs use single pane windows which have less than R1 insulation and the doors and windows use aluminum frames with no thermal break. You have in effect ZERO R value there.

Put all the numbers together and your typical RV has a R value of 1-1.5 IF you are "lucky". A RV is nothing more than a "wind break".

My suggestion is instead of trying to create a bunch of half baked heating ideas perhaps try ADDING insulation, rework the windows and doors. These things will pay off big time.

Basically remove the outside skin and ROOF, FIR OUT the walls, add at least 1 1/2 inches to the walls and three inches to the roof. Then remove existing insulation and have professional spray foam sprayed into all the walls and ceiling. Then underside add firring under there and have it spray foamed.

Double pane windows and creating a thermal break for the doors and windows and now you have a RV that has the potential of R10-R15 and heating that will use considerable less energy to heat..

When I rebuilt my TT I used 1" Poly Iso (R7) and 1/4" (R of 1/2) foam (used under siding)and I can tell you this, turn off the heater and in several hrs the trailer is the same temp as the outside which is an improvement over the old R3 fiberglass which was less than 20 minutes...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The flower pots just work as passive radiators. They can not add to the amount of heat.
Regards, Don

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is interesting but I don't see were the flower pots add or multiply the heat from just the candles alone. I think if you tested the temperature rise inside the MH the temperature will be the same either way but the candles alone would heat up faster and the flower pots would hold the heat longer after the candles are blown out.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd keep the tea lights because that is definitely -emergency- heating, assuming one has no propane, no fuel, nothing, and having a candle is a lot better than freezing to death.

However, I'd sooner recommend for a Buddy heater for anything but absolutely emergency heating (make sure to follow directions, as it needs ventilation, space around it, etc.)

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Piano,

When I think minimalist heating, I think of chemical heat packs:
Like these
I suppose you could cover the walls, floor and ceiling of your rig with them for a minimalist sauna:)

Keep warm and Happy New Year,
Steve

MrWizard
the flower pot is supposed to be inverted and placed on the stove burner
this traps the heat and the clay/ceramic becomes a radiant source similar to the ceramic burner on blue flame heaters

YES open a vent let out the exhaust and let in fresh air

for get the candle,

no propane then try rubbing alcohol
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
...I'd need 88 flower pots and 176 candles. Just where would I find room for those in a class c?

Or you could leave the flower pots on the patio and just use 176 candles. The flower pots don't add any heat.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
skipnchar wrote:
ANY heat source that includes a flame of any kind is a danger of asphyxiation in an enclosed space. Be sure to factor in the heat you'll loose from opening a vent or window to allow the air burned to be replenished. Another minimalist method of heating your RV is to lower the thermostat on your furnace and there is NO chance of a properly working furnace to asphyxiate anyone OR put dangers CO fumes into the living quarters.
Good luck / Skip

you forget where he is at

an overnight snow storm could make a drift capable of blocking the heater exhaust

people in snow drifts on the side of the road have died because they didn't get out and clear the exhaust

now 'quite' so likely to happen in an RV with the heater exhaust, BUT still possible and has to be considered, TRAPPED fumes are a danger even when the furnace operates correctly
If the exhaust were to get blocked by snow (which would take a pretty good sized drift on most RVs) then the burner chamber would heat up to the point that the overheat switch would shut the heater down..
Of course it could fail, but that is unlikely as is the blockage of the exhaust. RV heaters are probably the safest way to heat a RV.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW