cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any simple portable solar panel stand/bracket ideas?

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked through many of the solar threads but most all show mounting them on the roof.
I just ordered a 100w panel, 20A controller, remote monitor, extra cable and connectors and z brackets from Solar Blvd. but wish to keep the panel portable at least for now. I may add a second panel in the future but want to see how the singe panel works first, its usually just me in the toyhauler on archery hunting trips and I don't use much power and even so I could always start the Onan generator and use the PD 4655 converter w/ charge wizard to top things up if needed.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
19 REPLIES 19

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can make a floppy or a twirler. Both are shown here. If you want to make it easy, just use a dolly as was suggested earlier. It can twirl on its wheels and be propped up at different angles to suit the sun's altitude.

First I used the wooden tray on the roof for the single panel. It lies flat for travelling strapped to the cargo railing at the back of the roof, then on arrival I prop it up pointing South with a little stand I made or just against the air conditioner shroud.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26854712/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

BTW this coming summer 2014, I will have my 230w 24v panel in the contraption on the ground instead of the two 100s shown there, and will still have the 130w on the roof as shown.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I use two pine slats and a pair of c-clamps. Infinitely adjustable, cheap and simple.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking for something to prop it up so I can track the sun. Maybe something made with aluminum angle and some folding legs. I'm sure I can figure something out but why reinvent the wheel when I am sure someone else has some ideas and what not to do as well. I won't have a ladder or handtruck when hunting, the toy hauler is heavy enough as it is.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The white backing of the panel is fragile for solar cells like the blue front is, so don't prop it up against the white backing.

You need to use the frame for propping. I found it necessary to put a board across the frame at the back bolted on, and then prop it so the cross-board takes the weight. Also the board makes a good tie down place if you use bungees while propped.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I just lay the panel on a picnic table, on the roof, or on the ground. You can prop it against a tree or something to orient it toward the sun.
If you want to make a stand a step ladder or a hand truck can be a good starting point.