cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have experience with AGM or GEL deep cycle batteries?

afinepoint
Explorer
Explorer
The current deep cycle for the RV will be replaced shortly. I've read the advantages and disadvantages of Wet cell vs AGM vs GEL and was curious as to whether fellow RVers have any experience with the latter two?
Tow vehicle: 01 F350 7.3L CC Lariat 4X4 dually, 220 amp alt, lit by PIAA & KC, thrust by Dp tuner, braking courtesy of ART cryogenics and PF pads, on board air, lane clearing by Nathan Airchime train horns, car catcher by Road Armor. Trailer: RPM M-26FBS
33 REPLIES 33

afinepoint
Explorer
Explorer
The 27's would not fit so I went with twin 24's. MAxxs from Walmart. A total of 184 amp hours. Odd the website price is $99 but I was only charged $68 apiece.

We'll see how thing go. The wet cells are supposedly more fragile in high vibration settings but boats are mentioned. Considering the rigidity of the F350's suspension the trailer isn't going to bang them around any more that what the truck batteries experience. So far we have only pulled on paved roads.

I also went with 6 gauge wires for battery to battery jumpers. The 4 was too stiff and 8 seemed a little light. Looks like 6 is what the manufacture used. The draw will be light anyway as we have shore power at the site.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Tow vehicle: 01 F350 7.3L CC Lariat 4X4 dually, 220 amp alt, lit by PIAA & KC, thrust by Dp tuner, braking courtesy of ART cryogenics and PF pads, on board air, lane clearing by Nathan Airchime train horns, car catcher by Road Armor. Trailer: RPM M-26FBS

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Gadget Guy wrote:

What brand have you decided on????

Sams Club in OKC has a 100AH AGM grp31 12V by Johnson Controls for $170.

I would prefer the Sams Club Duracell, which is actually a Deka-East-Penn, but they are only available in the Eastern states.

HTH;
John

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a couple of 100 amp-hour wheel chair deep cycle AGM batteries in our Class C. They're coming up on their 7th year this fall. The stock Parallax fixed voltage converter and engine alternator is about all they see. However, on our last trip this year they got some charging from a very old 2/10/50 cheap "charger/starter" set to it's 50 amp starting setting.

I regularly take them down to around 50% state of charge. From this state of charge, the main engine alternator takes them to full charge in around 5-6 hours of driving ... according to the dash ammeter I installed with it's shunt in the their main negative terminal cable. I can tell when they're fully charged because their current acceptance reads right around zero on the ammeter. When they are being charged by the Ford engine's 130 amp alternator, the AGM batteries are connected directly in parallel (via a heavy duty solenoid with silver alloy contacts) with the main engine's wet cell starting battery.

These wheel chair AGM 12 volt deep cycle batteries have been trouble-free and maintenance-free the whole time.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
Afinepoint, IMO with your camping style, two bog box store grp 27's is plenty. They will see very light use. Save your money for other stuff.

Such as stuff for keeping the batteries less discharged.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Afinepoint, IMO with your camping style, two bog box store grp 27's is plenty. They will see very light use. Save your money for other stuff.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see, I got my flooded cells the week before Ronald Reagan announced "Star Wars". Almot has it right. Do your research then make a decision. Some folks think a Harley is the only way to get from point A to point B.

A bigger crime would be if we did not have all these wonderful choices.

BTW, the spiral coil AGM battery has its place on the planet...
It will far and away outlive any other construction battery type if subjected to insane amounts of G-force like hammering across a washboard road for miles and miles and miles. The real shame is not knowing or appreciating these differences.

afinepoint
Explorer
Explorer
I can sense there is curiosity about my style of camping and thus battery needs so here goes.

The trailer currently has one battery. Our usage is light. The battery is only supplying power for the 24 hours prior to our adventure. The loads being CO, CO2 monitor, TPMS booster(re another post yes I did buy a TPMS) and whatever the refrigerator control circuitry needs.

Our outings are on average 1-2 days every few weeks. This will increase as we become more experienced but I don't see more than week at a time. Thus far everywhere we have gone there is shore power. I don't intend to purposely go without shore power until the generator capability can support full trailer loading.

During storage the battery is disconnected. So if 6-7% loss per month is correct for wet cell then a battery is still in the 90% range when reconnected. It's a thirty minute drive from storage to home. During the winter the battery will be removed.

With the exception of the higher self discharge rates wet cell seems the way to go. Off gassing, spillage and orientation of the battery is of no concern since it sits outside and is rigidly mounted. We have yet to dry camp. Although IF I can't get a spot at the track then dry camping will occur. I have a small generator that can recharge the battery.

I was thinking two size 27 wet cells. Two deep cycle Everstart Walmart 27DC-6 batteries plus boxes = $174. They are 109 amp/hr with 750 MCA @ 32ยฐF per the salesperson and 115 amp/hr and 720 CA in the picture. What I like about their batteries is when I did return one after significant usage they said "go get another". No questions asked.

But I have to answer the question: "With our current camping requirements do we need two battery capacity?" Like the scouts I want to be prepared. Shore power is never guaranteed.

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
I installed four 6V GEL CELLS in 2006. Could not be happier with them. One of these days I will have to wipe dust of them.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
afinepoint wrote:
I've done the research and know the pros and cons of each. Just curious regarding real life experiences.

Whose real life? ๐Ÿ™‚ What people here were trying to tell is that you need to know what YOU are looking for. On boating forums you will find real life accounts of long-lived flooded and short-lived AGM, including renowned Lifetime. Or vice versa. It depends on how yo use and maintain them. AGM are not completely care-free, no battery is. They don't need watering but still need proper charging, "might" need equalizing, and their life depends on the cycle parameters.

Somebody mentioned Optima - yes, expensive, yes, good feedback overall, but do they even exist in 100 AH size? When deciding on the brand, I checked this and couldn't Optima find bigger than 75 AH.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I made the switch to AGMs last year and as one who likes to Boondock it was one of the best mods I've ever made.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Explorer
Explorer
My RV came with two AGM coach batteries. My year was the first year they were installed as standard by the RV manufacturer. I hear a lot from other owners of my RV for the model years just before mine about all of the problems that they have with the wet cell batteries as they do not maintain them properly. I never have to have that concern. They are there and they do their job. My batteries also hold a charge longer than those with my RV who do not have them. Go for the AGMs.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Of course people have millions of tons of opinions about batteries, but the first place to start research is a site like batteryuniversity.com EVERY different type of battery has its STRONG and it's WEAK points.

What may work GREAT for your neighbor or Homer J Snerdley may be entirely WRONG for you. They may jump up and down with enthusiasm rooting their choice but in reality bottom line, they may in fact has very very limited experience with the product. You have no way of learning just how long or how intensive their experience is or was. I would if I were you decide to allow a heavyweight amount of fact on the number of comprehensive responses you get. The number of years of experience. The intensity which they actually use their batteries. A weekend warrior that limps from park to park, power pedestal to power pedestal is not really a qualified reference ro someone who is going to really put their battery bank through their paces.

I would ferret out AGM users that claim "I have used AGM for years off-grid and regularly cycle them down to 50% capacity" if I too was planning to do the same.

Gelled electrolyte batteries have fallen out of favor because they need EXACT care. Something that few RV'ers have the patience or time to give. But gel batteries do have their place - like in emergency lighting and backup power supplies, where under the correct circumstances they will far outlive an AGM battery.

I would also pay attention to battery brand reviews. I have encountered AGM brands that weren't worth their weight in used spaghetti.

Hope This Helps
Great stuff as usual.

afinepoint
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Of course people have millions of tons of opinions about batteries, but the first place to start research is a site like batteryuniversity.com EVERY different type of battery has its STRONG and it's WEAK points. . .

I've done the research and know the pros and cons of each. Just curious regarding real life experiences.

Reg

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mockturtle wrote:
My Optima AGMs recharge very, very fast. Yes, the initial cost is higher than wet cell batteries but well worth it, IMHO.

Optima is a special class.. For any given "Footprint" (Size class) they have less capacity due to the sprial design,, IN theory it's like 73 percent, in practice as low as 60 percent,,, and they cost still more. Just so you know.. Try Lifeline when you replace them.

That said, if you are putting them in physically rough service (Wave Runner, 4-Runner et=al) They are the way to go. That is what they are designed for.. The "Slam over the ruts and send for your kidneys later" kind of service.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times