cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back up camera wire routing

cant_remember_I
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing a wired back up camera on my fifth wheel. I have the camera mounted and the wire running down the inside of the back wall, coming out the bottom. What is the best way to get it to the front from here? The RV dealer suggested just running between the the floor and the chloroplast, so it would just lay on top of the chloroplast unsecured. I am a little worried about this because the wire will be free to move around and may abrade over time. Any other ideas? Should I not be concerned about the wire routing rubbing?
Thanks all.
10 REPLIES 10

cant_remember_I
Explorer
Explorer
Ran the wire today along the frame. There were plenty of places to secure the wire. The hardest part was getting to the pin box. Used a fish wire to pull it from the front storage. It's dark now, but I'll get some pics tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
I ran some extra 12volt power to the rear bunk house room of our fifth wheel and I ran it down the frame rail. There were plenty of spots to secure it out of the way of the slides and everything else. Was actually the easiest part of the job.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran pvc conduit front to back above my sealed bottom of TT. Now I can pull front to back anything I need. Used 1 inch and secured whenever I could.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

cant_remember_I
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
I'd like to do the same thing. What brand of camera are you planning on using?How do you plan to route the wires between your FW and your TV? I'd love to see some pictures when you get done. It sounds like a great project.

Jim

Hi Jim, I bought a camera from rearview safety through costco
http://www.costco.com/Backup-Camera-System-For-Trailers-with-7"-LCD-Screen-by-Rear-View-Safety.produ...

The quality seems nice and you get audio with the wired version.

I actually tangled with a tree in the fall and had my rig in for some body work on the back panel. They had to remove the back, so I asked them to run the wire down the back wall while it was off.

I hope to tackle this today, I'll get some pictures to share.

Carl

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I know this doesn't help. But the RV builders need to take a page from Boston Whaler. They put a cord from front to back so you can pull wires. I just installed a keypad grab bar. Took two days running wires . Good luck

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Trailers have had wires run under for years, rubbing and the underbelly material will not damage the cable. I would run it on the outside of the frame inside a PVC pipe and secure the pipe with clamps and then paint it black. A LOT easier and quicker than dropping the underbelly and routing the wire thru it. BTW, Jayco, uses a RF remote camera system now as an option. If you have not optioned the complete system at build, You connect the rear camera POWER to the center rear upper clearance light and just plug in the Monitor to your Truck Cigar Lighter. All you have to do is drive with your running lights on to power the Camera. IF you option the System from Jayco, they run a dedicated 12 volt power wire to the Rear Clearance light area with a switch at the Battery compartment to turn the camera On and Off. I believe this system on the Web costs about $500. You do not have to purchase it from Jayco. Doug

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to do the same thing. What brand of camera are you planning on using?How do you plan to route the wires between your FW and your TV? I'd love to see some pictures when you get done. It sounds like a great project.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
For protection against abrading, you can put it in corrugated nylon/plastic split sleeving or similar protective tubing. If it's secured reasonably well against movement there will be little abrasion (with our without additional protection). If you can zip tie it to the structure or attach it some other way that would be good.

How are the tail light wires routed in your trailer? Can you follow the same routing?

cant_remember_I
Explorer
Explorer
wirenutz wrote:
what about the outside of the frame rails ?

That was my first thought too, I need to check that route. There are a lot of obstacles with slides and I'm not sure how much there is to tie the wire to. I'll have it out this weekend and will check that option. Thanks for the suggestion.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
what about the outside of the frame rails ?
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension