cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

back up camera

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back I purchased, and installed, an after-market back up camera (tail gate) and dash-installed monitor (which includes a radio, phone and a GPS map system) for the truck.

The setup has worked flawlessly since that time, until a number of months ago, it started working intermittently, with occasional horizontal static type lines, which increased, then intermittent black screen (with camera not working notice on monitor), and now full black screen every time the vehicle is put in reverse (again same notice on monitor).

As we are likely heading out for a long trip (3000 miles) when/if the border closures lift, I would like to resolve this issue.

Even though I initially removed the old dash radio system and ran the new wiring, installed the camera and the new monitor, I actually know little about troubleshooting these types of systems.

So I am seeking help in this endeavour and any advice on how to determine if the issue is with the camera itself or wiring between the camera and head unit (the head unit still operates radio, phone and mapping system so my layman's mind suggests it is not with that end).

I also have minimal experience with multi meters and such, even though I do own one.

Any help is appreciated.

Marv
15 REPLIES 15

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
David,

Not interested in a wireless system.

In the middle of fixing the system so should know the outcome in a few days.

Marv

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck
Have you ever looked into wireless withe a camera up high feeding to your phone?

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
David,

Yes, it was Ralph's. And they hooked the camera at the back pf the truck. After some research, I did some continuity checking of the wiring from the camera connection to the cab, and it appears the ground has continuity, while the power and video wires do not, so to my layman's mind that means the issue is likely in that cable.

I will be returning to Ralph's to see if they have a replacement that I can configure to fit my system. They don't sell just the one cable but sell it in a package with the camera included (which, if my camera does work, means I am buying something I may not need, but oh well).

It also means I will have to remove the dash panel and pull out the head unit to get at the video cable, not something I wanted to do.

Thanks again for your continued assistance, and offer of help.

Regards,

Marv

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Did he connect it in the cab or at the back of the truck.
If he connected it at the back of the truck and If the 'radio' is working then it must be the long wire from the back to front. or one of the connectors.

Was this Ralph's on Venables?

You can bring it over and I'll have a look at it. No promises. I'm in Kits

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
David,

Thanks for the continued attempts at helping out.

Today, I visited a car audio et al store (on Venables), which coincidently happened to have a camera in stock which had the same 4 prong male connector.

The rep was decent enough to go out to the truck and hook his camera to my connector. Truck was put in reverse, but still the "No Signal" message occurred. In his opinion, that suggests the issue is not the camera and it's attached cable, but farther upstream, in the cable from the cab etc.

So that leaves me with the next step, to check that wire. Not sure how I am going to do that as that wiring (and connectors) is specific to my set-up and not easily replaceable to confirm if it is in the wire. If you have further suggestions, I am all ears.

Again, thanks much.

Marv

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try the reset process with the camera bypassing the long lead wire?
David

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Had to unexpectedly go out of town, so haven't been able to continue this thread until today.

Removed the camera and it's lead. The connector, camera and wiring show no signs of wear, moisture or corrosion. The connector (between the camera and the wiring to the cab) is quite small and it appears deep inside each is a 4-prong (like, real tiny) setup (male/female). The connection was/is tight.

To be sure, I cleaned off each connector, re-connected and put the truck in reverse. Same "Video Signal not Detected" message.

On the camera side is a single wire running from the camera to the connector, while on the vehicle side is a two wire set-up (red and black). This wire runs into the cab where it is plugged into a fuse box on the firewall. There is a wiring harness that then leads to the head unit. All wiring/fuses appear ok throughout the system. The camera picks up power through the box (not cut into the reverse light at the tail end).

If the 4-prong setup at the connector is any indication, the wiring in the camera end will be minuscule and a pain to cut into and splice farther up-stream to confirm if the camera is the culprit, so any suggestion on how to determine the condition of the camera without doing that would be appreciated.

As this system is no longer available, the only replacement I have found so far has completely different connectors and I am not sure of the compatibility to the head unit. And as there is a few hundred dollar cost, I would like to confirm exactly what/where the problem is before I go that route.

Marv

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/182677-advent-ogm1-stuck-on-splash-screen/

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
There is a thread here dated Dec 11 2016 on how to do a reset.

That cannot hurt.

David

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the problem i see most often is water getting inside the camera from high pressure car washes or using a pressure washer at home. after a while of the camera being baked in the sun the seals go bad letting water in some have had luck opening them drying them out and using a sealant to reseal the camera housing

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
The wire between the camera and the main unit carries the camera signal only. The power comes thru another power wire attached to the vehicle electric system. From what you said there are only these two connections to the main unit.
Since the unit powers up it has power.
Since the picture is the problem the problem most likely lies in the camera itself or camera wire.
So next Iโ€™d like you to remove the camera and bring it close to the main unit bypassing as much wire as possible. If the wire has connectors take it apart there. If not cut it and strip it marking the ends with tape which you number so you can reassemble afterwards.
Where do you live?

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
It is an Advent OGM1 system.

I took a look at the wiring from the camera, "upriver" today. At the camera, the wiring seems to be firmly connected and no signs of wear, corrosion or other issues. I followed, and inspected, the wiring from the camera for about 5 or 6 feet and everything also looks OK. When I initially wired things, I went a bit overboard and taped everything as well as covered the wiring with two layers of split corrugated loom tubing, so it has been well protected and looks almost new.

As I indicated earlier, I am an electrical amateur and unsure how to determine if power, or a signal is present along the wiring route.

Marv

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
It is highly likely the flaw is in that wire.
What is the brand and model of your back up system

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
David,

Thanks for the response.

When you say the defect probably lies in "that unit", I presume you mean the plug?

The camera has a short (couple feet) wire which connects (by a very small plug) to a wire which runs under the truck and into the cab through the firewall. You may be correct about where the problem may lie, but I am hoping someone can give me some advice on how to determine if that, or another location, is where the issue is.

As to buying a new camera etc, the truck is getting close to end of life and will be replaced early 2022 (supply dependent, of course), so I was hoping to fix rather than replace at this point (unless it is unfixable and needs to be replaced).

Thanks again,

Marv