cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bad taste from city water connection

randyspiess
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having a bad taste in my water, sort of an inky/chemical taste, but it only happens when I am connected to a hose connection in a park and using city water. It has happened at several different parks so it is not the local waters problem and it doesn't happen when using water from the holding tank. I have sterilized he tank and lines several times but the problem returns quickly. I have also changed the hose so don't think that is the culprit either. Any suggestions what is causing it and how to cure it?
14 REPLIES 14

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I'm betting on your hose.

My city inlet plumbs directly into the main line from my internal water pump. So if your tank water tastes fine but city water doesn't, and if you take a drink right from the spigot and it tastes fine, it's your hose.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

anconn
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new hose and the taste went away.
2002 Seabreeze 34' MH
2005 Jeep Liberty

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
SAR Tracker wrote:
Or, add bourbon until the bad taste goes away! :B

Bourbon and hot hose water. ๐Ÿ™‚ Put an umbrella in it or rubber duckie?

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Or, add bourbon until the bad taste goes away! :B
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the others: get a carbon block filter. A ten inch housing from CW, or Lowes with hose adapter hdwe. Get a 1 micron or less, if you can afford them in ceramic with a carbon block center and silver. You can find them on the net. The 25 micron from Lowes is about 29,00 for the cartridge but you can get lesser grades. The ten inch from CW is bout 69.00 with propriatary blue cartridge but I think it can use any ten inch. It will get the taste and sulfur and so on or at least the i micro or less units will.

randyspiess
Explorer
Explorer
No onboard filter, just a short T from the water hookup to the rest of the plumbing. I have a 21' 2003 Okanagan ultralight.
By the way; I am a first time poster & am impressed as h*ll with all the super quick responses. Thanx a bunch.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know what RV you have or it's plumbing layout......

Do you have a on-board filter just after 'city water' connection??

Seeing as your problem is with 'city water' I would check:
Hose
Filter/canister for city water only
City water inlet and line to 'T' (where it connects to rest of plumbing system)

Everything AFTER city water connection is common to both on-board pump and city water
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

randyspiess
Explorer
Explorer
did the hose also

randyspiess
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, should have said it WASN'T the water at the site

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You sanitized your tank/plumbing....but have you EVER done the supply hose?

And how old is that supply hose?

The only common item........different CG's, different water sources, some bad taste...is your supply hose.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

randyspiess
Explorer
Explorer
It was the water at the site, it was ok in all cases. I thought it might be contamination at the trailer hose connection or in the pressure valve that regulates whether the water comes from the tank or hose, but that should clean up with sterilization.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to take a glass and try the water at the spigot....see if it tastes bad there. It could be the local water?
If it tastes OK, then I'd invest in a "taste" filter for the system, since you say that you already have sanitized it.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

randyspiess
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using RV hoses, never thought about the hose gting warm in the sun, might be it.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Add a charcoal filter to incoming line.
Water sitting in a hose in the hot sun. Can get a nasty taste till it runs a little.

Are you buying hose made for RV/Marine use? Not just home garden hose.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+