cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BATTERY CHARGING PUZZLE?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
In charging my twin group 27 deep cycle lead acid batteries wired together to produce 12 volts (called series?) if I charge at 15 amps am I really charging both at 7.5 amps? Or are they both charging at 15 amps? BTW I got an astonishing nine years out of my last set of Costco interstate batteries. I had a load test performed on the deceased and one rated good, the other was toast as I mistakenly set the smart charger to charge at 40 amps.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
21 REPLIES 21

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Series. Daisy chain. What climbs from one end, comes off the other end. 15A it is. What puzzle?

You have group 27 batteries (2)? That would be a 24 volt system in series? Parallel is 2 12 volt batteries at 12 volts
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes the charger rating will be split between the two 12v batteries connected in parallel. 15 amps charger becomes 7.5 amps each battery.

BTW 40 amps will not hurt the batteries either. (20 amps each).

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
In charging my twin group 27 deep cycle lead acid batteries wired together to produce 12 volts (called series?) if I charge at 15 amps am I really charging both at 7.5 amps? Or are they both charging at 15 amps? BTW I got an astonishing nine years out of my last set of Costco interstate batteries. I had a load test performed on the deceased and one rated good, the other was toast as I mistakenly set the smart charger to charge at 40 amps.

The answer is "depends" in a perfect world both would receive 7.50amps....... The way the batteries are wired play a large role on charge and discharge behavior. Here is some homework if you are interested.Good stuff here
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Series. Daisy chain. What climbs from one end, comes off the other end. 15A it is. What puzzle?

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you have group 27 batteries? Those are 12 volt batteries, so two of them wired in parallel is the only way to properly connect them. That is, positive to positive and negative to negative. This connection method provides 12 volts, but gives you the amp hour capacity of both batteries combined, so about 105 amp hours x2 = 210 amp hours, 12 volt.

If you had 2 x 6 volt golf cart batteries, you must connect them in series (one positive terminal going to other battery's negative terminal, the remaining terminal of each battery being pos and neg. Their voltages combine to become 12v, but the amp hours will only be that of a single battery (220 amp hours).

Google search battery series / parallel connections for a good picture or two.

To answer your question, yes if you have a parallel battery setup each battery will see about half the rated current of the charger.

If you had a series system with 6v golf cart batteries, then the current would be the rated current through both.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
That is wired in parallel.
And yes,7,5 amps per battery.
And 40 amp setting won't hurt 2 27 DC batteries
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does the battery manufacturer recommend for charging voltage?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad