cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Discharge

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
I bought two new Duracell 6 volt golf cart batteries around the first of March. These batteries unfortunately for me, have been sitting waiting for my two week repair to be finished.

The repair is beginning its 3rd month (about) and have been told it will be ready around the first.

Part of the work I am paying for is installation of a two battery holder and battery boxes for them.

My question... These are not gel batteries, If I read the discharge rate chart right these things may be ruined, is that correct?

Much of this is my fault, it never occurred to me until late this past week.

Can they be saved or is it best just start over?

Thanks for any answers or solutions.
Courage is endurance for one moment moreโ€ฆ
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam
15 REPLIES 15

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
It has a pendant, the instructions are in the box but I will do as you suggest. I know it needs to charge for a long time.

Thanks

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
rwj146 wrote:
Thanks again for the answers. One of the things I bought for them to install is a new Progressive Dynamics 45 converter.

Yes it's the 1988 Terry. Old as dirt but seems in good shape other than the small dent I put in it.

You need the Charge Wizard if it is a 9100 or the pendant if a 9200 (whatever, I don't own a PD) for that converter if you dpn't have it now.

Once hooked up you will need to force it into 14.4 and let it run out the time (4 hours max) then hit it again for another four hours of 14.4 and so on, till your hydrometer says the SG is up where it belongs at 1.285 or so (correct that number for temp and actual battery specs as they have it in their website) If you had a charger that could do it, a good shot of 16v after that would be good too, just to show them who is Boss.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the answers. One of the things I bought for them to install is a new Progressive Dynamics 45 converter.

Yes it's the 1988 Terry. Old as dirt but seems in good shape other than the small dent I put in it.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
How hot are the batteries, a dealer shelf may never exceed 75F.

100F recently in OK, how hot did the batteries get?

Retrieve them, charge them FULLY.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rwj146 wrote:

Not hooked up, they are inside the trailer still in their boxes.

Even better. If there is acid to be installed, they still are brand new. If they are AGMs, then they should be perfectly fine too.

READ the instructions that came with them though before you put them to use.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rwj146 wrote:
If I read the discharge rate chart right these things may be ruined, is that correct?

No not at all.
What exactly does your statement above mean ?

Most new wet-cell batteries end up at about half charge or a bit less after you add the acid....and before you charge them good the first time. Letting them sit like that shouldn't cause any real serious problem.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this in the 1988 TT? Did you get a newer converter for that TT? If not, then the 6s won't get a proper recharge, which means them seeing 14.4 or better for as long as it takes to get their SGs up to spec, say 1.285 ( after allowance for temperature)

Once SG stops rising that is your target for future recharges (baseline SG) You need to do that with any new battery after getting it home, and especially with these with the extra shelf-time.

Then you should be fine--if you have a converter or some other charger that can meet the charging specs for those 6s.

Yes, it is very annoying to have the RV shop steal your camping time like that.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rwj146 wrote:
The batteries are or were new, never installed. They are at the repair shop in Oklahoma. I did not check the voltage when I dropped them off.

New batteries sit on dealership shelves for months before being sold and although there will be some small amount of self discharge that's certainly not going to cause battery death in just a few short months. Forgetaboutit. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
So sitting NIB and disconnected. I think they are fine. Charge and use normal once installed.
Once installed will be a good time to review the charging system and possibly upgrading.

rwj146
Explorer
Explorer
The batteries are or were new, never installed. They are at the repair shop in Oklahoma. I did not check the voltage when I dropped them off.

Thanks so much for the replies.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What it the voltage on the batteries?
How long have they been at that voltage?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sitting how? Hooked up or not? If not, probably fine as long as they were charged beforehand.

Perhaps by saying 'gel' you're referring to AGM.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
They should be just fine. My 6V batteries sit all winter long in the TT and the MH with out a bit of problem. I just disconnect the negative battery cable. Put them on a charger and go from there.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.