cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transmission fluid additive in the hydraulic system

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if there's a transmission fluid additive that would soften the seals on the jack cylinders without hurting anything. Has anybody ever tried this on HWH system. I have a left rear jack that is moving slowly going up. It's still working and transmission fluid on the cylinder before it goes up does help a lot. I know it's a matter of time before I have to get another cylinder but just trying to prolong is life.
Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr
15 REPLIES 15

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I installed new springs to the slow jyack. Now it goes up quicker than the other on on the rear. This new spring is made different than the old ones.
2014 Tiffin Zephyr

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"I know it's a matter of time before I have to get another cylinder but just trying to prolong is life"

"Brake fluid swells neoprene. But I warn you, this is a tourniquet not a health spa treatment"

Amazing how the English language morphs ๐Ÿ˜‰

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
1. HWH is ADAMANT to NOT use any additive in the system
2. Under warranty, when the seals stick. HWH replaces the cylinder, NOT try to do silly things like polish the cylinder or wipe it down with something else or add an additive. ALL that does is temporarily stop the problem. It comes back in a few weeks or a month.
3. The problem is the seals have stiffened up and only a rebuild or replacement with the new style seals will fix the problem
4. If you want to know if springs are your problem
1. If they are NOT rusted and both ends taper up to the hook, your springs are OK
2. When you retract, with NO springs, you can easily push the cylinder fully up. If you suspect the springs, when it stops, manually push it up. If you cannot, then springs are not the problem. Doug

I couldn't agree more with Doug. Spot on. When hydraulic systems fail to operate correctly, it's rarely because they need a "Genie in a Bottle" or a magic wand. Find and fix the problem. Unless you want to be like one of my more memorable boon docking neighbors who couldn't get his jacks to retract from fully extended position with the front wheels off the ground. It's not a problem that a few days and a few $$$$'s won't fix.

Chum lee

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
n4hwl wrote:
Doug

When the jack stuck 1 inch from the top I reached under it and was able to easily push the jack up in place with my hand.

Ken

Replace all 8 springs. 2 per jack. Doug

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
Doug

When the jack stuck 1 inch from the top I reached under it and was able to easily push the jack up in place with my hand.

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. HWH is ADAMANT to NOT use any additive in the system
2. Under warranty, when the seals stick. HWH replaces the cylinder, NOT try to do silly things like polish the cylinder or wipe it down with something else or add an additive. ALL that does is temporarily stop the problem. It comes back in a few weeks or a month.
3. The problem is the seals have stiffened up and only a rebuild or replacement with the new style seals will fix the problem
4. If you want to know if springs are your problem
1. If they are NOT rusted and both ends taper up to the hook, your springs are OK
2. When you retract, with NO springs, you can easily push the cylinder fully up. If you suspect the springs, when it stops, manually push it up. If you cannot, then springs are not the problem. Doug

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps it's time for new springs? They do get stretched out, rusted, etc.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
The jack is not leaking at all. It is just going up slowly. On one cycle it stopped 1 inch from going all the way up and would go no further and the jack down light stayed on. After cleaning and lubricating it with fully extended with automatic transmission fluid it goes all the way back up but is still a little slower than the other rear jack.

I think in the end I will have the get a new jack or this one rebuilt but we will see.

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
This is a question senor westend, not a comment or a critique of your response...

Is not extremely fine emery cloth referred to as "crocus cloth"? I would like to re-learn this as I have projects that would love to see "fine emery cloth" and wish to know for sure if the term "crocus cloth" would succinctly define what I need to a hardware store employee north of the border.

Crocus cloth has iron oxide for abrasive and has nothing to do with emery cloth. Both have there place but crocus cloth would be better suited for a cylinder rod.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take it off take to a shop have rebuilt. then it won,t fail on your next trip.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is a hairball grade better than nothing band-aid for a leaking hydraulic cylinder seal. Directions must be followed exactly to the letter or total cylinder seal failure will occur.

Brake fluid. Any.

Cloths (2) both clean.

Wipe extended protruding cylinder shaft to clean off hydraulic oil.

Wipe on a THIN coat of brake fluid to the exposed cylinder shaft. Careful! No drops, no slops.
Now retract the cylinder shaft.
Wait 3 hours.

Extend the shaft.

Did this reduce the amount of leakage?
Brake fluid swells neoprene. But I warn you, this is a tourniquet not a health spa treatment.

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
Try Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners. It claims to have seal conditioner in it. Power steering and transmission fluids are both just hydraulic fluid so should be compatible.
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

n4hwl
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking about an additive I could add to the fluid reservoir and have it soften the seals. I would hate to add something to the fluid and have all 4 jacks quit working. I guess the safe way is to just keep the cylinders lubricated from time to time.

Ken
2014 Tiffin Zephyr

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is a question senor westend, not a comment or a critique of your response...

Is not extremely fine emery cloth referred to as "crocus cloth"? I would like to re-learn this as I have projects that would love to see "fine emery cloth" and wish to know for sure if the term "crocus cloth" would succinctly define what I need to a hardware store employee north of the border.