cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Disconnect ON

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that my Intellitec BD1 Battery Disconnect lamp stays on continuously. Before, it would go off when I moved the rocker switch to STORE and I had the MH off AC power. I can hear solenoid(s) clicking when I move the switch in either direction.

Any suggestions why the red lamp always stays on now? Like this, I can't tell if the batteries are disconnected or not (I assume they aren't in that the lamp continues to illuminate.) I installed new solenoids over a year ago and the switch was working properly afterward.

The voltage meter does function correctly.
15 REPLIES 15

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks DougRainer for your input.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
johnnydp1 wrote:
Some of these posts were difficult to understand with the way they are written. So, to summarize and end this thread: I have replaced the solenoids within the past 2 years. Whether one has failed or not, it should have lasted more than a couple of years. Therefore, I am going to augment my existing Intellitec Battery Disconnect by installing a manual disconnect switch at my coach batteries.

Hopefully, in the future, this thread will help someone with a similar problem. John

Lets use your logic on failure rate. Rv's come with a full 12 month warranty. Using YOUR logic, NOTHING will fail under the 1 year warranty because the parts should last longer. Intellitec solenoids fail all the time, whether 1 month old or 10 years old. Doug

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these posts were difficult to understand with the way they are written. So, to summarize and end this thread: I have replaced the solenoids within the past 2 years. Whether one has failed or not, it should have lasted more than a couple of years. Therefore, I am going to augment my existing Intellitec Battery Disconnect by installing a manual disconnect switch at my coach batteries.

Hopefully, in the future, this thread will help someone with a similar problem. John

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup. THe light is a "12 volt system live" light
Does not matter if the power is from the battery or converter
If you have 12 volts the light is on.

Took me a bit to figure it out too. since it is not logical but.. Only a short bit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Marcella, My understanding is that the lamp will turn off when you place the switch in the Store position, provided you have disconnected from shore power.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
This is funny cause I was noticing this on my new 10.4.

If I am plugged into shore power the light is on. It doesn't matter if it is switched to store or use. But be careful, because if it is on store the light is on and the battery will not charge:).....

I would think the light would be an indicator of the battery being online.

Also, with the shore power hooked up, the led charge percent indicator will show full, even though the battery is discharged, just cause it is detecting the charger online.

Strange imo.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
johnnydp1 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
If I am plugged into shore power, that light stays on all the time because the converter/charger is still providing 12v power to the light. If I unplug from shore power, that light is only on while the battery is connected, and off when the battery is disconnected. That is normal operation and how yours SHOULD behave.

The operative phrase here is "unplugged from shore power."

True.

' Before, it would go off when I moved the rocker switch to STORE and I had the MH off AC power.'

Now I have to determine if it's the switch or the relay.

And, I told you it is the Relay(solenoid). Doug(giving you 38 years of RV Tech experience). PS, If your Car starter solenoid clicked when engaging the Ignition key, would you suspect it is the Ignition key lock was faulty? :h

You should listen to Doug. While I HAVE known him be be wrong (aren't we all, on occasion?), it is an extremely RARE event. He does this stuff for a living.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
johnnydp1 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
If I am plugged into shore power, that light stays on all the time because the converter/charger is still providing 12v power to the light. If I unplug from shore power, that light is only on while the battery is connected, and off when the battery is disconnected. That is normal operation and how yours SHOULD behave.

True.

' Before, it would go off when I moved the rocker switch to STORE and I had the MH off AC power.'

And, I told you it is the Relay(solenoid). Doug(giving you 38 years of RV Tech experience). PS, If your Car starter solenoid clicked when engaging the Ignition key, would you suspect it is the Ignition key lock was faulty? :h

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

True.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years about 99% of the solenoid remote relay power failures I have diagnosed are caused by

The big number one
Sloppy control wire terminations and wire routing

Then
Garbage grade relays (solenoids)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-Systems-7700-ML-Series-Remote-Battery-Switch-NEW/163158913491?epid...

Use good wire -- not PVC. Cross link, Hypalon, or EDPM are all good choices.

Use butt connectors and wire terminals that have heat shrink tubing. Buy an assortment found on eBay.

BLACK nylon wire ties outlast natural white about 10 to 1

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you hear the solenoid clicking, then the solenoid is BAD. Replace it. These are called "latching" solenoids. When you hit Store or USE, the disc inside the solenoid moves to the correct position and stays there. Hence, it takes NO POWER when engaged. OR when disengaged. It is trying to move the disc, but cannot due to failure. IF one of the 5 amp fuses on the solenoid was bad, you would not hear the click. Doug

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
Very simple in plug Shore power
Then try turning on some lights or water pump
If they work you are not disconnected
If nothing works, the batters are disconnected

If on shore power should they not work from converter even if no battery connected?

OP, you do have a digital multi-meter of course since you have an RV?
Use that to see what 12v power is where with the switch open and closed, regardless of the red lamp.

You also have a chassis batt that might be powering the red lamp?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

johnnydp1
Explorer
Explorer
Too simple to be true ๐Ÿ™‚

Like I stated, the batteries are still connected when in STORE mode (I double checked after your response). Where would I begin to look for an answer to this problem. I'll start tomorrow by testing the rocker switch. I'm not very much familiar with this electronic device.

Thanks for your response.