Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery in cabin

North0f60
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, haven't posted here in years.

Anyway, I have two new RV batteries for my c-class. They are bigger than what I had so I can only one where the old two were. Can I put the second battery in the cabin under the couch where my invertor is installed? I intend to put the battery on one for those black plastic battery boxes that has a lid. I was going to drill to holes on the lid to run the cables thru to connect to the other battery. The cabling is already close by due to the invertor right next to where I was going to place the battery.
Is that ok to do?
2000 F-450 30' Tioga C-class V-10 4kw genset
Former CruiseCanada rig
Sat tv, sat radio, xbox , beer
19 REPLIES 19

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Optima are the brand I see in custom cars as well as marine apps here on the Left Coast, and I'm quite happy with their quality for a house battery now in its 6th year of use (we have year 'round seasons with coast/mountains/desert out here). Last much longer, don't degas, charge at a faster rate, don't need a "battery box", etc. there are so many advantages...

acid/gel/agm battery info

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
rvredhead, you'll get a LOT more help if you start your own thread.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Lifeline AGM's are top of the line. Been using them for 15 years in sailboats and RV's.

But, not sure you want to carry the extra weight/expense of trying to go more than two days before recharging batteries.

Remember, for best battery life, don't discharge batteries below 50%-- about 12.2 VDC as measured with batteries at rest (no charger on and no heavy load).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rvredhead
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how this works. I am a fairly new rver with a 2011 Winnebago View. The house batteries last less than two days when dry camping. I am looking at getting a Lifetime AMG marine battery. Does anyone know anything about this brand? I am planning a 7 day dry camping trip in a few weeks and need to be able to have the lights on, run a pc, kindle, etc. Any advice? ED

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
North0f60 wrote:

...Oh, the batteries were new and free.

Wow, great deal. I'm sure those are expensive batteries. I also get my Deka Gel batteries free. My son is a wheelchair mechanic and each chair uses a pair of 12v batteries. They swap them out every 18 months.

They can be used inside without the need for venting.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi North,

I suggest investigating maximum charging rate--even if they were free you don't want to kill them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

North0f60
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Go-Power GP-RV-80 Panel with a GPR-25 regulator. The regulator has a jumper for flooded or sealed battery.

Oh, the batteries were new and free.
Former CruiseCanada rig

MrWizard
AC RIPPLE CHARGER 0.5% RMS or 1.5% of float charge voltage recommended for best results. Max. allowed = 4% pk to pk

the amount of ripple allowed in the charger voltage
no more 207 MV ripple recommended, 552 MV peak change, this is the 60hz ripple measured using the AC scale/setting on your digital meter

http://www.alpha.com/Products/Alphaiui/Cable-Broadband/Outside-Plant-Power/Batteries/AlphaCell-GXL/

what converter do you have ? in your RV, does it have a gel battery setting ?

gel batteries do NOT tolerate over voltage or over charging

the specs mention float voltage, they do NOT mention charging voltage or charge rates

I would not buy new gel batteries, i would buy AGM
i would buy gel Only IF i found them on the surplus market at a great price, my converter does have a Gel battery setting
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Be careful not to charge them fast. Gel cells can easily be destroyed by that.

AGM would be a better choice.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
North0f60 wrote:
they are AlphaCell GXL GelCell Batteries 165 GXL. Are they ok?
http://www.alpha.com/Products/Alphaiui/Cable-Broadband/Outside-Plant-Power/Batteries/AlphaCell-GXL/
Like Tim mentioned, GEL batteries would work also.

North0f60
Explorer
Explorer
they are AlphaCell GXL GelCell Batteries 165 GXL. Are they ok?
Former CruiseCanada rig

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
AGM yes, any other kind of battery would be an explosion hazard...

Not quite true, you are forgetting Gel batteries. We have two Deka Gel batteries inside our Aliner.

All non-sealed batteries need to be in a closed case which is vented to the outside.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, air tight box with the only vent going to the outside. AGM is better in this case as they don't outgas under normal charging.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
AGM yes, any other kind of battery would be an explosion hazard AND the sulfuric acid fumes will EAT the interior of your RV. IF you seal the compartment it's in AND make certain that the inside is NOT anything you care about AND you properly vent the battery to the outside it's possible but that's a LOT of ifs for under the sofa.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population