cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Monitoring

Shoe2728
Explorer
Explorer
Have two 12v batteries in parallel,is there a way to hook up a meter so I can independently monitor voltages on them. Wanted to use 1 meter with a switch to select Batt 1 or 2 to check.
22 REPLIES 22

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
Shoe2728 wrote:
would a PDC 9200 Series Deck Mount be a sufficient converter to use on two grp 27 batteries

That's probably one of the better converters, as far as converters go.
However, even with the charge wizard, which allows one to keep the Vabs up to the voltage set point (14.4v), the voltage output may be a little low. Do you boondock often? Do you charge in cooler weather? Do you properly top charge and/or equalize? Do you concern yourself with temperature compensation? If no, and you will be on hook-ups most of the time, then the one 14.4 Vabs setting will be fine. Otherwise, you may want to consider an adjustable voltage charger, as opposed to a converter. Just a few things to consider.

Also, best to check the manufacturer's charging voltage recommendations.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes PD9200 is excellent. 45 or 60 amp rating is plenty. For best results mount closer to the battery with #4 wire. But generally it will be fine using OEM location and wire.

Shoe2728
Explorer
Explorer
would a PDC 9200 Series Deck Mount be a sufficient converter to use on two grp 27 batteries

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Shoe2728 wrote:
Looks like I do need to get a better converter that will charge batteries faster so generator does have to run so long.
Yes once the batteries hit the 14.2+ volts run the generator one more hour.
If your converter only does 13.6 you end up running the generator all day.

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
Either a better converter, or a stand alone charger. Anything that can keep the voltage up, while in absorption/constant voltage mode.

Shoe2728
Explorer
Explorer
Taking off in April for 6months and plan on doing some dry camping. Thought monitoring voltages a little would head off any potential problems. Already have a generator and inverter, just want to get most out of batteries. Lot of good knowledge on here, just trying to seperate everything Iam reading. There are so many ideas and products people believe in, hard to decide which way to go. Looks like I do need to get a better converter that will charge batteries faster so generator does have to run so long.

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
Why is it you care about voltages? That's the easy stuff. You need a shunt and a monitor like the Trimetric or if you want to know whats going on.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shoe2728 wrote:
Tried to fall back and punt, but got blocked. If your talking about football punting from five yards back is not enough. Not sure if soccer has punters dont follow it.
Punt distance is measured from the line of scrimmage not from where the punter kicks the ball.

Sometimes you have to have a reference, so all things are equal.

A "punter" in England is another thing entirely! ๐Ÿ™‚ I think most of us on this Forum buying RV stuff might be "punters" from the point of view of the retailer. Not quite sure, not being English.

Anyway, It seems you can do what you want with the 1,2, both switch after all, so you are good to go. It does take time for the individual voltages to "settle out" after they have been in parallel and also you don't want either battery to be carrying any load when you take its voltage or you will get a wrong answer.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

You would have to separate them for at least six hours. If they are not sealed then a hygrometer is the definitive tool to use.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Shoe2728
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to fall back and punt, but got blocked. If your talking about football punting from five yards back is not enough. Not sure if soccer has punters dont follow it.
Punt distance is measured from the line of scrimmage not from where the punter kicks the ball.

Sometimes you have to have a reference, so all things are equal.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At our superior age BFL

Muddling is earned. It is a RIGHT. Younger pretenders need to be admonished.

The OP should fall back five and punt...

Individual AMPERAGE values can be measured and interpolated. Say both batteries are at 50%. Voltage is applied. One battery reads significantly lower amperage starting out but then refuses to taper off anywhere near as much as the first battery.

What is that telling you?

Multiple methods of removing hide from cat...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
After the trip you could charge and separate. Then just check voltage with your multimeter. Not sure this is the best way to determine if one is getting weak. Hydrometer is a better indicator but a bit of a pain.

Do you feel you are having trouble now? What are the charging habits while camped or in storage? What converter are you charging with? anything else?

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
If the switch is in either the #1 or #2 position, the parallel tie between the two 12v batteries is severed. If the switch is in the #1&2 position, the parallel link is maintained. It's no different than switching to "both" in order to supplement a low soc boat engine starter battery with the on-board house battery.

In all three cases, whether switched to #1, #2, or #1&2, power is available to the meter, just as an inverter would be if connected to the common stud on the switch.

I'm not sure that if one battery was "carrying" the other a little, it would take time to see that. I have seen my batteries hold different voltages, even when wired together. And if there was a rather large discrepancy in voltages between the two, the stronger battery would likely draw the weaker battery right down.