cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery question???? XXXX UPDATE XXXXX

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
bought 2 new batteries for my mobility pride scooter, 12 V U1AGM 35AMP BATLIQ1017..... INSTALLED THEM TODAY and before charging them they tested at 12.7 v.. put the scooter charger on and both batteries showed 13.4 v,.
my question..... the charger has been on for about 5 hrs now and the charger still shows red light on which means they are not fully charged yet... i tested the batteries and one showed 15.2 and the other 14.8..... i unplugged the charger for now because i am not sure if they are to much charged.. is it normal for new batteries to show a reading so high even though the pride charger says they are not fully charged yet?? should i plug the charger in again tomorrow and continue to charge until the charger shows green like it usually does????? thanks for any advise..
25 REPLIES 25

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info, i will check the charger out and check the batties again and report back. thanks

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
How are you reading the voltages? Can you trust your meter? Some can be off a few tenths of a volt to more. Check that before you go too far.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
jkwilson wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
They need to be "Equalized" how to do that on your system I do not know. I know how I'd do it but it requires hooking them in parallel to a DIFFERENT charger.

Donโ€™t equalize AGMs. It will damage them.

True statement. Everything I've read is that AGM's aren't supposed to be equalized.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Explorer II
Explorer II
Pride has a few recommended batteries depending on model that have a max charge voltage from 14.8 - 15V. Below is an example

Does your battery have charge information on it?

What is the charger model number? What's its output amps?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to be clear here, the manufacturer specifies the charger output voltage is 29.6V. 14.8 +15.2 is more than the charger is supposed to put out.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
They need to be "Equalized" how to do that on your system I do not know. I know how I'd do it but it requires hooking them in parallel to a DIFFERENT charger.

Donโ€™t equalize AGMs. It will damage them.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charging raises the battery voltage and they can maintain that for some time, it's know as surface charge. Use the scooter a little or let the sit overnight and the voltage should drop to the 12.7V range.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have the mfg specs? Depending upon the mfg, etc up to 15.0V for charging might be OK but it does seem high. 0.4V difference seems significant. Are the batteries connected in series?

Call Pride and get a technical person, not some sales person. Also battery quality can and does vary so that might be a factor. Expect pushback if you use a different battery source.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
An AGM full charge resting voltage may be a little higher than 12.7V. Most are around 12.8V, with some like the Optima at 13.1V. The charger for your scooter is supposed to produce 29.6V while charging. Thatโ€™s 14.8V per battery. Seems likely you have a charger problem, though having two batteries in series showing different voltages after charging with a single charger would also indicate some difference in the batteries that bears watching.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
12.7 V at rest IS fully charged.
And 14.8-15.2 IS too high of voltage for an AGM battery.
Something is wrong.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold