cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery wiring diagram

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer

I'm not an expert and don't claim to be one but looking at this picture makes me think something is very wrong here.
I would love the resident electrical experts opinions
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles
24 REPLIES 24

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjxj wrote:
I had too look twice to see if it was a trick. Depending on your goal that could be an excellent set up. First set up a video camera then get quality goggles and a hazmat suit with kevlar. If they get past the molten lead and blinding blue arc as the last connection is made and it did happen to weld in place the ensuing melt down would will make excellent you tube material.

The best I have witnessed was 48 volt 4800 pound fork truck battery 4/0 cables shorting. It's like creating a blue sun and molten copper and lead is blasting out. It's wicked. There are ungodly amps when shorted and they aint taken no for an answer. Something has to give.

I would hate to be the guy that had to make the last cable connection :S

Best melt down I have witnessed was at 2AM when a 220KV Line Disconnect started disintegrating.
Worn spot on end, salt air, started tracking then started arching.
Small bright spot that grew into a very large green eye blinding arch that didn't stop until 15' of cooper disconnect had been consumed.

Gravel underneath was fused together with large pool of melted cooper
Very impressive on a moonless night.
Made for a very busy end of shift with 2 Unit trip---next 5 hrs flew by :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If the batteries are jb welded together the two cables could then serve as a carrying handle and hand warmer.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
As a minimalist, I am fine with it-- just have to remove EITHER wire and it is a standard 12 VDC battery bank. And, that leaves you with one fine interconnect cable when you add another pair.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And I was just trying to keep my Briggs and Strattons running. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I had too look twice to see if it was a trick. Depending on your goal that could be an excellent set up. First set up a video camera then get quality goggles and a hazmat suit with kevlar. If they get past the molten lead and blinding blue arc as the last connection is made and it did happen to weld in place the ensuing melt down would will make excellent you tube material.

The best I have witnessed was 48 volt 4800 pound fork truck battery 4/0 cables shorting. It's like creating a blue sun and molten copper and lead is blasting out. It's wicked. There are ungodly amps when shorted and they aint taken no for an answer. Something has to give.

That battery set up is more dangerous than bajaing cars and trucks out in a field until they break something then shove a jack or a rock on the accelerator pedal until it blows. I've watched them spin a tire at full throttle until it catches on fire and burns the whole car.

Small engines and things like snowmobiles are a lot of fun to destroy. Securely raise the track off the ground and wire the throttle. They will blow the belts off and destroy the shields and hoods then the engine is no load and scatters it's guts. We fed an old jlo twin cylinder snowmobile engine sheet metal screws and it puked real quick. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've had briggs and strattons bolted down running wide open and start feeding it sand. Drain the oil and run it wide open until the rod blows out the side of the crankcase. It was my education in failure analysis. I had an interesting childhood out in the oldmans garage. ๐Ÿ™‚

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
And to make it worse, Motorhome magazine was praising this for it's neatness!
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a new EPA regulation - properly labeled and fully discharge so that there is no free energy left before disposing. ๐Ÿ˜› :R
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a hoax photo ?? Or where did it come from ?
Maybe that is a "poor mans load tester" ?;)
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I do wonder what the outcome of that would be- would the batteries or cable melt first? That's kind of unstoppable force against immovable object.
-- Chris Bryant

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uh yeah.. dead short!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman