Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery

Happycamper30
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I am a seasonal camper, is it good idea to unhook the battery during winter, we still have electricity coming to the camper but just wondering if I bring the battery home during the winter months and charge it every month at home till spring?
Thank you,
Ron.
13 REPLIES 13

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
4 Sams Club 6v golf cart batteries lasted me almost 12 years (sold rig). Half of the NH winters the rig was NOT connected to AC. I fully charged and hit the true disconnect switch every fall.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Trojan says to avoid freezing storage temps when you can.

If the batteries are stored below freezing keep them fully charged.

But constant full charge is not desirable for longest life.

So you kinda have to weigh your options. I think for most people leaving the batteries installed is the most practical approach.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
wopachop wrote:
Trojan says to avoid freezing temps. If you cant avoid freezing temps keep them at a high state of charge. But trojan also says to avoid keeping the batteries at a constant high state of charge.

Actually Trojan doesn't say the above about freezing temps.

They do say:

Freezing usually results in irreparable damage to the plates and containers. It is therefore imperative that batteries that are subjected to freezing temperatures be stored fully charged or
at a high state of charge.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Removing them cant hurt. Trojan says to avoid freezing temps. If you cant avoid freezing temps keep them at a high state of charge. But trojan also says to avoid keeping the batteries at a constant high state of charge.

If the batteries are easy to access and it helps you sleep at night then store them at home. If buying new batteries doesnt break the bank then maybe the effort is not worth it. Would suck to hurt your back trying to remove a battery when the life expectancy wont be significantly increased.

I remove my batteries to save money (hopefully) and helps me sleep at night.

Happycamper30
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you eveyone for the reply.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
owenssailor wrote:
Wet cell batteries full charged with no load are fine in the cold all winter. Been doing that for 40+ years with the batteries in my boat. In Ont Canada it does get cold. Never had a problem. They discharge very little in cold weather.

Gjac wrote:
I would fully charge it, then equalize, disconnect the negative cable and recharge again in April. A good battery that is fully charged will not freeze over the winter months. Self discharge is also less in cold weather

^^^^^^
That's all you need to do for the winter. My batteries discharge less than 10% doing it that way for 5-6 months in the winter.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would fully charge it, then equalize, disconnect the negative cable and recharge again in April. A good battery that is fully charged will not freeze over the winter months. Self discharge is also less in cold weather.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Wet cell batteries full charged with no load are fine in the cold all winter. Been doing that for 40+ years with the batteries in my boat. In Ont Canada it does get cold. Never had a problem. They discharge very little in cold weather.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Would be nice to know what type of battery, too. Make model age?
Some types of battery self discharge more slowly than others when just disconnected and left in place. If it's a wet cell type, you should try to keep it charged in the very cold temps of winter. AGMs a little less so, and Lithiums even less than that.
If it's not inconvenient, bringing it indoors over winter works, too.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron,

Without knowing what the converter is, this question cannot get an accurate answer. While disconnecting is safe in the short term, the bank will still self-discharge at some rate that is greater for older jars. No matter how short you expect your absence to be, it can happen that it is longer. I one time did a full winterize of a client's boat and was not called back to put it back in service for three years.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disconnect and leave it in its compartment. Check water when hooking it up.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you keep your battery fully charged it wonโ€™t freeze and it could stay in your RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad