cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Cell Phone Service

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
With all the Cell phone Companies telling you they have the best coverage and offering you some "great" deals what do you all think is the best of the best. Not so much price, but coverage no matter where you are on the road or at your S&B?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
41 REPLIES 41

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to express my thanks to all of you who posted. I showed this to my wife and she was surprised as to the choice for Verizon. She has decided we won't be jumping into the Sprint deal with our daughter.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I was one of Sprintโ€™s longest customers having been with them since 1994. Well a few months ago I couldnโ€™t take it anymore. The voice part was always good but data sucked bad. I had gotten an iPad years ago with Verizon and would always bring it along for when Sprint wouldnโ€™t work.
The problem with Sprint is they are using a Band frequency all their own, cell boosters like my Wilson Weboost wonโ€™t even work with sprint 4G LTE data.
Switched to Verizon on my iPhone and Iโ€™m glad I did.
Out in AZ there are big gaps in Sprint, Verizon seems to have most of that covered.

Iโ€™m actually posting on my Verizon iPad due to Cox cable being out right now......

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother got our parents Sprint phones under the same deal. The salesperson in Florida swore to my brother that they would work. They don't. Another brother has ATT, I have Straighttalk with Verizon, and my wife has Google Fi. The Sprint phones are the ones that don't work at my parents house.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
.. I specifically asked if they could recommend a phone model to allow us to get service there. Sure, they said. And recommended a model I now forget. We both bought new phones. Next time at the campground, still no service.
My experience is that the people who answer calls at cell companies are salesmen and women.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Charlie D. wrote:
Not to get off topic too far but does the cell phone play a role in reception? Type of phone, built in antenna, etc.?

That very question is why we ended up leaving AT&T. At a Colorado campground we could not get AT&T service on our phones. But another couple nearby both could get AT&T, weak but fairly reliable. This was before phones became very "smart". One had a very basic flip phone. The other had a slightly more advanced phone. Our phones were different from either of theirs. We could drive about 2-3 miles closer to a town and get good AT&T service.
Upon returning home, I called AT&T and explained our issue with no service while these other people did have service. And I specifically asked if they could recommend a phone model to allow us to get service there. Sure, they said. And recommended a model I now forget. We both bought new phones. Next time at the campground, still no service. That same couple was there again, and they still had service. Returning home, I called AT&T again and explained the problem of no service while others did have it. I told them the phones they recommended did not help and we would like a better option. "We can send you new phones" they said, but it would simply be exact same phones as the phones they had already sold us. "Will those work better than the same ones you already sold us?", I asked. "Not likely, we don't have service to that area", they said. So I ask, if they don't service to that area, how were others getting AT&T service at the campground, and we could get good AT&T service if we drove 2-3 miles away. They said "don't know, we don't service that area". I ask if we could return the phones that still did not work, and they said no, we bought them, we were stuck with them.
Upon arriving home, we cancelled our AT&T service (with penalty) and went to Verizon. And it has worked well every where we have been.
So don't expect a new phone to work in an area your old one doesn't.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Not to get off topic too far but does the cell phone play a role in reception? Type of phone, built in antenna, etc.?

different phones may vary slightly, but not much. they all have the same output power, virtually all have built in antennas, and the chipsets used are pretty common performance. If you are in a very marginal reception area, it may make a difference with one phone giving you 1 bar and voice and another not.

We often are in areas with marginal or no reception, and for a given carrier, those with or around us with the same carrier have pretty consisent results. If one has no recpetion, others regardless of phones are the same. if i is marginal, again pretty much the same.

Now, going to a built in car phone, like onstar ATT phone can help since you will have an external antenna and more output power.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Do not be fooled by the "They use the Verizon towers" Line.

Another service may use Verizon towers, but to provide the coverage that Verizon does provide comes from their buying time on other systems. So, if another low cost carrier uses Verizon towers, they could well not be getting all of Verizon's coverage. A good friend recently learned this first hand.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Charlie D. wrote:

You will find the odd differences but no, they are all quality machines built with amazing technology.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The state park we're in right now has just about the same signal strength on both AT&T and Verizon from a tower about a 1/2 mile away. I understand T-Mobile is good here as well, but not Sprint. The previous national park we were at had good Verizon service, but weak AT&T with no T-Mobile or Sprint. The state park before that had good AT&T service, weak Verizon service, and no T-Mobile or Sprint. The bottom line for us is that Verizon and AT&T have kept us online everywhere we've been so far over the past few years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hands down VERIZON has the best coverage. Cheapest??? NO!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
We had Sprint and went to Verizon Wireless. The straw that broke the camel's back was a week in OBX with a cell tower in line of sight from our campsite and no signal on the Sprint phones.

Most cell phone companies do not own their own towers, they lease space on towers from communication companies that make their profit erecting and maintaining those towers. Often, a cell carrier will have a lease dispute over the price of tower space or the market (subscriber base) in that area is too small for a company to recover the cost of installing their equipment on a given tower.

I worked for Sprint for 16 years and dealt with spotty coverage because they provided me with free service and a discount on a phone. When I left the company, I went with Straight Talk. I find it amusing that I pay $45/month for service that includes 25 GB of data when my wife's company pays the same amount per phone but has to share 25 GB of data between 4 users thru AT&T.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
VERIZON

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I like Verizon.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've only had Verizon but have had very good reception most everywhere.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE